• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

part_type_sprite() is slow & Triangle particle suggestion

acidemic

When developing my current project on GMS2 (IDE v2.1.4.295 Runtime: v2.1.4.218) I have noticed that using particles created using function 'part_type_sprite()' make game much slower (~48fps) than using particles created with 'part_type_shape()' (~230fps).

Also I have a suggestion to Yoyo team to add new particle shape into the standard set of particles available with 'part_type_shape()'. My suggestion would be a 'Triangle' particle shape which I believe will be very useful for many game devs.

That's the suggested shape:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
part_type_sprite should be more or less the same as using the shape option. Make sure that the particle sprites are not being split over several texture pages, as that would more than likely be where the difference comes from (extra texture swaps). That said, you should run the game using the debugger and make sure that the issue is indeed this function. Profile the game and see what comes up as causing the slowdown (it may be something unrelated, like another change in your code).