HTML5 Paperboy Style Game Remake

Alexx

Paperboy was released by Atari in the 1980's.
The aim of the game is to deliver papers to the doors of buildings. Bonus points for hitting other targets like windows and cars. You need to collect extra papers as you go and avoid obstacles.

Sorry about the poorly cropped graphics, this is a WIP and I'll update when I can.

Controls are arrow keys & Z to throw paper.

Game in EXE:http://gamemakerbook.com/exe/paperboy.exe

Last edited:

kupo15

Two things, checkpoints? Second why does your turning radius suck when you slow down? That shouldn't happen and I'm pretty it didn't in the early PB

Love the Html option to test

RangerX

Low speed turning in PaperBoy back then DID suck, you couldn't turn more tight because you were slower speed.

Alexx

Two things, checkpoints? Second why does your turning radius suck when you slow down? That shouldn't happen and I'm pretty it didn't in the early PB
I did this one from memory, based on what I remember from some 30+ years ago. I'll check up on this and add checkpoints/faster turning as needed when I update it.

kupo15

Low speed turning in PaperBoy back then DID suck, you couldn't turn more tight because you were slower speed.
Right I know you couldn't turn tighter but was turning actually worse than regular? I'm going off of memory also. This game the turning is so bad when your slow it seems pointless at the moment

I did this one from memory, based on what I remember from some 30+ years ago. I'll check up on this and add checkpoints/faster turning as needed when I update it.
Cool I'll be interested to find out what you see. Also adding an actual crash segment would be much better than a simple room restart...I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt its on your list haha I'm not much of a fan of the sfx clip when you die to be honest. Sounds really cheap at the moment than just a crash or something. It gets tiresome quickly when you die a lot

One more thing, I died several times because of how you designed your out of bounds. I tried going on the sidewalk like you could in the beginning and was stopped suddenly and couldn't make the turn back to the other side of the street. I think the playing area should be wider