• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Question - Uploading Paid on maket place, free elsewhere

GMWolf

aka fel666
The eula states that if the asset is provided for free on the marketplace, you may not charge for the same asset elsewhere.
  • 4.2. Other forms of monetisation. If you decide to distribute Publisher Property for free, then you cannot have an alternative or enhanced edition outside of the YYG Platforms for which you do charge money. Nor can you directly or indirectly mention, request or accept donations for Publisher Property.
So if i choose to charge money for my asset on the yoyogames marketplace, can i then choose to upload the asset on another platform (such as itch.io) with the pay what you want model? And include the link to the alternative platform in the marketplace listing?

article 4.2 only mentions free assets on the marketplace, but not paid assets, and i did not find any other sections relevant to the subject.

Thanks,
fel666

G

Galladhan

I don't know, but i've noticed that some MP publishers have (some of) their assets on itch.io too, so i imagine it's possible.

csanyk

I put my assets on itchi.io, but at the same price as they are for the Marketplace. It's true, though, that itch.io's store is much more flexible in the options you have for pricing, sales, bundles, etc. than YYG Marketplace is currently. You may not be able to match exactly what you are able to do with other sites if you sell in other stores.

I think an easy workaround for this would be to put a price on your "free" assets, but then sell them on the Marketplace at 100% off. Then you could charge for them elsewhere without violating the ToS/EULA for the Marketplace.

Why someone would pay more for the same thing elsewhere, though, I don't know.