Distribution Paid & Free Versions

C

Chatterb0x

Friends,
I can't find an explicit answer to this question.

I am developing a mobile game whose primary audience is visually impaired. However, the bulk of my players will be sighted. My dilemma is this:

Visually impaired have trouble with ads. Hell, my vision is 25/20 and I mistakenly tap ads. I'm firm on releasing a paid version because ads will negatively impact my target player's experience. I know that the game mechanics are wholly unique (think Chicken Scream unique) and word of mouth could make it succeed. That being said, even 99 cents is a barrier to mass adoption. A free version with choice to remove ads can't work because navigation is difficult for visually impaired players.

My solution is to release a paid and free version. Is this still acceptable in 2017? Would Google Play remove 'duplicates'?

Genetix

I think it is acceptable. I have spent the last year working on a visual novel game called College Days. The app is free with ads and has over 200,000 downloads. I am getting ready to release the final content update, and after doing so I am going to release a premium version of the game that will not be free. That version will co-exist with the free version - it will have no ads, and a bit of bonus content available. It it is a good way to provide your product for different kinds of users, I don't think the apps should be exactly identical or named the same however, I would name one of them something like "premium" or "deluxe" version and try to explain to users the difference. I've done this in the past and never had any problems.

Good luck!

Here is a link to College Days if you want to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genetix.College_Days

C

Chatterb0x

I think it is acceptable. I have spent the last year working on a visual novel game called College Days. The app is free with ads and has over 200,000 downloads. I am getting ready to release the final content update, and after doing so I am going to release a premium version of the game that will not be free. That version will co-exist with the free version - it will have no ads, and a bit of bonus content available. It it is a good way to provide your product for different kinds of users, I don't think the apps should be exactly identical or named the same however, I would name one of them something like "premium" or "deluxe" version and try to explain to users the difference. I've done this in the past and never had any problems.

Good luck!

Here is a link to College Days if you want to check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genetix.College_Days
Awesome response! This puts my mind at ease. I'll be sure to check out College Days.