Pac-man multiplayer project

UNTITLED PAC-MAN MULTIPLAYER PROJECT
(Catchy name is temporary)

A 5-player Pac-man clone where up to 4 players control the ghosts!
Hopefully I will have a demo or something soon!

Features:
  • Asymmetric multiplayer.
  • Level editor.
  • Selectable sprite skins and alternate ghost colours.
  • Gamepad support

Project History
This started as a quick attempt at a Pac-man clone, during AI testing I enabled control of the ghosts and thought maybe that might make a fun game. As I continued to work on it, add features, and polish it, I realised it was something I wanted to improve on and finish. I'd also never attempted making a level editor before so this was a good excuse to learn since Pac-man mazes are simple levels.

For sporadic updates you can follow me here: https://twitter.com/siolfor64

Menus
The player setup menu filled out, showing who is controlling what.

Different sprite skins
Ms. Pac-man

Jr. Pac-man

Extra ghost colours

Gameplay

Showing some levels from the level select screen as well as tileset variations

Old screenshot of gameplay

Editor
Latest version of the level editor with placeable walls, pellets, and players.

Old version of the level editor

Feel free to leave any feedback or ideas for things you'd like to see in this project. Much more to come soon.

Last edited:

Toque

Ok. I love this. Clever in its simplicity and looks like fun.

I’m just thinking how hard it would be for Pac-Man. The original was hard enough. But Pac-Man is going to be clobbered ?

I guess so, except you don't need several systems to play multiplayer.
And Pac-man Vs. Doesn't mention anything about a level editor.
I only heard about Pac-man Vs. Like last week haha, so it's cool that it exists, but I still want to finish this anyway. Maybe even add more to it to make it more interesting.

That could be a fun idea too! A good alternate game mode idea. Once I get this main mode working properly, I think it may be worth trying that out too.

Toque

I love hate pac man. I found it too hard. It’s a quick quarter. I was amazed at anyone could finish the second level.

I sucked at Pac-man as a kid, only got good at it when I got a version of it on windows and could play for free, but even then I still wasn't much better.

Spent some time mocking up a menu today, will fill out those sections with images and options anĺd details as required. I had fun making it, menus are fun to make.

https://t.co/XAFSMHbnnD

Updated first post with this gif.

Last edited:
Menu is almost finished, fully functional too.
Pac-man EX isn't the final name or anything, I just wanted something to type in there for a temporary title image.
Threw up some menu controls there too, not sure I like how they are though.
And any thoughts on the transition at the end? My partner thinks it should be slower and make a waka waka sound.

UNTITLED PAC-MAN MULTIPLAYER PROJECT
(Catchy name is temporary)

A 5-player Pac-man clone where up to 4 players control the ghosts!
Hopefully I will have a demo or something soon!

Features:
  • Asymmetric multiplayer.
  • Level editor.
  • Selectable sprite skins and alternate ghost colours.
  • Gamepad support

Project History
This started as a quick attempt at a Pac-man clone, during AI testing I enabled control of the ghosts and thought maybe that might make a fun game. As I continued to work on it, add features, and polish it, I realised it was something I wanted to improve on and finish. I'd also never attempted making a level editor before so this was a good excuse to learn since Pac-man mazes are simple levels.

For sporadic updates you can follow me here: https://twitter.com/siolfor64

Menus
The player setup menu filled out, showing who is controlling what.

Different sprite skins
Ms. Pac-man

Jr. Pac-man

Extra ghost colours

Gameplay
Showing some levels from the level select screen as well as tileset variations

Old screenshot of gameplay

Editor
Latest version of the level editor with placeable walls, pellets, and players.

Old version of the level editor

Feel free to leave any feedback or ideas for things you'd like to see in this project. Much more to come soon.
@Siolfor the Jackal
This is as cool as hell. I have been waiting for something like this.
Do you have a beta version? If so where can I download the beta and beta updates?
I do not have a twitter account nor do I want one.
Here are my ideas, I hope you like them and add them.
Idea 1: Ability to add up to 7 ghost in the mazes like sue/5 ghost, spunky 6 ghost and funky/ 7 ghost.
Idea 2: Ability to add 1 - all 7 ghost
Idea 3: Ability to edit ghost colors. {like using paint 3d color scheme.
Idea 4: Ability to add which ever ghost you want in your created mazes, like maze 1 clyde and sue, maze 2 inky, funky, maze 3 blinky, pinky and funky etc.
Idea 5: Ability to edit starting lives.
Idea 6: Ability to use created mazes in vs.
please add these, you would be the best and #1 editor out there.

Last edited:
Oh hey, things actually got pretty crazy for me not long after I started working on this so I put it on the back burner. I do plan to get back to it one day, but unfortunately the last current version is a wee bit too unplayable to share.
Those ideas are great, and many of them were things I was planning on including anyway, like the customs mazes for use in all modes was always the plan, and editing stuff like the amount of lives too. Colour schemes for Sue and the extra ghosts were already implemented(There's a screenshot or two showing them), and multiplayer would have let players choose whatever ghost they wanted. One of my biggest focuses on this was customisation, and that included being able to add your own spritesheets for Pac-man and the ghosts, I just had to figure out the easiest ways to keep that aspect simple.
Anyway, it's cool to see interest in this still. When I get back to it, I won't hesitate to post about it here.
Cheers.

Oh hey, things actually got pretty crazy for me not long after I started working on this so I put it on the back burner. I do plan to get back to it one day, but unfortunately the last current version is a wee bit too unplayable to share.
Those ideas are great, and many of them were things I was planning on including anyway, like the customs mazes for use in all modes was always the plan, and editing stuff like the amount of lives too. Colour schemes for Sue and the extra ghosts were already implemented(There's a screenshot or two showing them), and multiplayer would have let players choose whatever ghost they wanted. One of my biggest focuses on this was customisation, and that included being able to add your own spritesheets for Pac-man and the ghosts, I just had to figure out the easiest ways to keep that aspect simple.
Anyway, it's cool to see interest in this still. When I get back to it, I won't hesitate to post about it here.
Cheers.
Wow cool, I hope to see this soon. Oh and I was really talking about choosing what ghost you want for the AI to play in the mazes you create
not multiplayer. like if I create my first maze and want 1-7 ghost I could choose only funky and spunky for maze 1 or I could choose only sue for
maze 1 if you get what I mean. Yes also letting people choose in multiplayer from any of the 7 ghost is also a great idea.
If you made it up to 8 players I could hook up to 2 multiple usb adapters and damn that would be a blood bath, lol.
I can already see me rating your game/editor a 10 out of 10. PLEASE DON'T PUT ANY ANTI CHEATS IN YOUR GAME/EDITOR
TO PROTECT IT. Making unencrypted text files for modding like some games do would be nice like modding ai ghost speed etc.
BTW I love making things with level editors.
I wish you well Siolfor the Jackal and hope this won't be too far in the future.
{I'M old, over 40 but still love pac man, level editors, hacking games and love your game/editor} :)

Haha no worries, I started this literally just to try my hand at level editing and the custom levels are literal text files which I see no need to change. In fact, the way it is set up currently, you could easily make a level in notepad as long as you know what characters to use. W for walls, o and O for pellets, 0-4 for players. I think this is fun because most of the level says "WooooooooooooooooW!"

Code:
               B                                           
                WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW               
                WooooooooooooWWooooooooooooW               
                WoWWWWoWWWWWoWWoWWWWWoWWWWoW               
                WOWWWWoWWWWWoWWoWWWWWoWWWWOW               
                WooooooooooooooooooooooooooW               
                WoWWWWoWWoWWWWWWWWoWWoWWWWoW               
                WoWWWWoWWoWWWWWWWWoWWoWWWWoW               
                WooooooWWooooWWooooWWooooooW               
                WWWWWWoWWWWWoWWoWWWWWoWWWWWW               
                     WoWWWWWoWWoWWWWWoW                     
                     WoWW     1    WWoW                     
                     WoWW WWW  WWW WWoW                     
               WWWWWWWoWW W      W WWoWWWWWWW               
                      o   W 3 2 4W   o                     
               WWWWWWWoWW W      W WWoWWWWWWW               
                     WoWW WWWWWWWW WWoW                     
                     WoWW          WWoW                     
                     WoWW WWWWWWWW WWoW                     
                WWWWWWoWW WWWWWWWW WWoWWWWWW               
                WooooooooooooWWooooooooooooW               
                WOooWWooooooo 0oooooooWWooOW               
                WWWoWWoWWoWWWWWWWWoWWoWWoWWW               
                WWWoWWoWWoWWWWWWWWoWWoWWoWWW               
                WooooooWWooooWWooooWWooooooW               
                WoWWWWWWWWWWoWWoWWWWWWWWWWoW               
                WoWWWWWWWWWWoWWoWWWWWWWWWWoW               
                WooooooooooooooooooooooooooW               
                WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW               
                                            B

Sorry, I hate to overwhelm you with my ideas but I was watching this,
Pac-Man Battle Royale

This would be neat.

option
ALL PAC ROYALE: UP TO 4 PLAYERS ALL PAC MAN/ NO GHOST.
(CAN CHOOSE CUSTOM PAC MAN COLOR)
GRAND ROYALE: UP TO 8 PLAYERS 4 PLAYERS CONTROL 4 PAC MAN/ 4 PLAYERS CONTROL 4 OF ANY GHOST.
(BLINKY, PINKY, INKY, CLYDE, SUE, SPUNKY, FUNKY)
(CAN CHOOSE CUSTOM PAC MAN AND GHOST COLOR)
ALL FOR ONE PAC ROYALE:UP TO 4 PLAYERS ALL PAC MAN AND CAN CHOOSE 1- AND UP TO ANY OF THE 7 AI CONTROLLED GHOST YOU WANT.
(CAN CHOOSE CUSTOM PAC MAN COLOR)

To choose your custom color pac man or ghost you would have to be able to save them then load them at the player start screen
or you could just start with the color given to you.

(RED-YELLOW-BLUE-GREEN) PAC MAN
(RED-PINK- BLUE-ORANGE-PURPLE-GREEN-GRAY) GHOST

I will leave you alone now about ideas, its just I'M excited about your game/editor.

Last edited:
Well you know what they say, duct tape will fix anything, LOL. :D
I enjoy hacking games and making cheat tables but if I have trouble with something I have to take a break from it.
For reelzs though, If you hate your projects you shouldn't, you are really smart knowing how to make something this great.
Don't quit on it, maybe some day you enjoy doing it again.
Later STJ.

Last edited:
Hay STJ , why would you bother rewriting a chunk of game code, couldn't you code the game to accept DLC?
If you had a super pac man DLC with the effects, super power pellets, eatable maze walls etc for the editor
then couldn't it be made as DLC? I would just put it in the DLC folder and the game would load it.
Hell no having to rewrite most of your game just to add it.

Last edited:
I hope you make the editor where you can connect mazes and make one big pac-man game.
The limit would only be the storage on your computer so you can make each maze
as big as you want.