1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Demo PABAPU: Testers needed: Windows or Android

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by sitebender, Sep 13, 2018.

1. sitebender

sitebender Member

DOWNLOAD AND TEST:

I haven't had much time to program lately, so I made a much smaller game.

WHAT IS IT:

A colorful puzzle game where you complete each puzzle by making each tile disappear. Each time you touch a tile, the number on the tile decreases by one. Once a tile hits zero, it disappears, never to be used again.

FEATURES:

- ARCADE MODE: Infinitely generated puzzles. Each solved puzzle gives you time, run out of time it's game over. The puzzles start small, but grow larger every 5 completed puzzles.
    - COFFEE MODE: 10 generated puzzles with your own set difficulty and infinite time. Fail a puzzle, but keep going. Get your success ratio at the end.
    - PUZZLE MODE: 100+ hand made puzzles. Each puzzle records your fastest time.
    - CHARACTER SELECTION: 30+ Selectable characters... that all do the same thing!
    - STYLE: Clean and colorful style makes it easy to focus on the puzzles.
    - FULL CONTROLLER SUPPORT: Who would have thought? No flight sticks!
    - GREAT SOUNDTRACK: Over 60 minutes of music if you let it play 12x.

GAME HISTORY:

The original arcade game was made in about 5 hours, but people demanded more! A coffee mode was ended, followed with dumping a bunch of extra sprites to be used as characters. After that came an editor to make puzzles to hopefully give a simple game more longevity.

CREDITS:
    A game by: Sitebender
    original soundtrack composed by: @Replay_50101
    with sound effects from: Hitrison

SCREENSHOTS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. Morendral

Morendral Member

This looks like a great mobile game

3. sitebender

sitebender Member

I think I'll stick with the Windows only route. It already has controller support. In time, I might make it for Android.

I've had terrible luck with mobile games. Seems like only my friends end up playing my games and those friends would much rather play on PC. It's a chore to put the game on Android whether its my phone or the cable or my PC. It increases production time and I'd prefer this project remain quick and small.

4. curato

curato Member

I definitely like the concept. Is there a demo to play? I agree that is the kind of thing I would play on tablet or phone. I had a similar experience publishing a game to the Google play app store. I am not sure how much money you would have to throw at marketing to push it above all the clutter out there these days.

sitebender likes this.
  5. sitebender

sitebender Member

The game is done. I'm just sitting on it.

Someone new played the game a day or so ago and said it needed replay value and to add stars. I thought the saved times would give it replay value. Anyway, there is now a star system. Complete a puzzle on the first try and get a star or at least the chance at a star:

[​IMG]

More characters have been added.

6. sitebender

sitebender Member

As much as I was against making a mobile port of the game, I added mouse only controls and swipes. With a few modifications, it works well on the phone.

7. Amon

Amon Member

This is a great looking game. Congratz.

sitebender likes this.
  8. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Game looks like a satisfyingly challenging brain teaser. I especially like the different modes - arcade for a bit of tension racing against the clock, coffee mode if you want to relax and take you time.

Any word on a release and/or playable demo?

sitebender likes this.
  9. sitebender

sitebender Member

No real plan to release it yet. The Android version is now at the point where I've uploaded it and given it to friends to test before I open it up for everyone. It shouldn't be much longer. Someone also tried it on a Windows based touch screen (Surface) to play the game.

Instead of going the Google Play Services route, I'll just shovel it onto Google Play without using the services. Seems like plenty of people dislike Google Play Services, since players have to log in and it asks for a lot of questionable permissions for the simplest things like achievements and leader boards. That should shave a week or two of time off the Android release.

Here is my tablet taking photos of a phone that's sitting on my laptop and the photos are on my PC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IndianaBones likes this.
  10. sitebender

sitebender Member

ACHIEVEMENTS ADDED

Some games were destine to never be on services with integrated achievement support. Other games tend to infuriate people they need to log in for the achievements to work. So PABAPU has its own achieves. There are around 25 and nothing too intense or time consuming. When they are achieved, they drop down, show them off for 3 seconds and then roll back up. To see the achievements, you can visit the settings section and or the pause menu to find them.

The interesting thing about these achievements is the Android / touch screen compatibility to make it move. Before it was only swipes and touches that work. With this section of the game, flicks will make it scroll more.

Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

11. sitebender

sitebender Member

[​IMG]

Between last night and today, I added a bunch of minor stuff that involves the input methods and how to show people what's available. Rumble support for controllers was added, because if there's one thing no one asked for beyond in game achievements, it's rumble support for controllers. While it enhances the feel of the game, it is a bit subtle.

The player can grab a controller, push a button and the game will indicate that the player is now using the controller. It is the same for the keyboard too. Press a key and the keyboard icon will appear and blink. After two seconds, the input methods begin to fade away. At three seconds, the icons have faded into invisibility.

- Added rumble support for controllers.
    - Added start button as a pause button while in game instead of just back / select / B button.
    - Added visuals to let you know there is both controller and keyboard support.
    - Modified the reset data button to be disabled when playing the game.
    - Added a new sound effect when collecting stars. The old star sound affect is now the achievement sound effect. There are more sound effects in different places.
    - Modified the game to tell the player keyboard instructions when using the keyboard and controller instructions when using a controller rather than both sets of instructions.
    - Fixed back button in pause menu.
    - Fixed back button from achievements to return to the pause menu rather than unpausing the game.

That's all I can think of to add at this point. So time to get back to sitting on the game.

12. sitebender

sitebender Member

Yesterday, I made a bot to efficiently solve puzzles as quick as possible and to determine if generated puzzles were solvable. This was fun and having it compete against the arcade mode resulted in the realization that it has to get up to a puzzle of 400+ tiles long before it starts to lose. The arcade mode gives the player 10 seconds for every puzzle completed. As the puzzles go from 20 tiles long to even longer, the time given goes up to 20, then 30 and all the way up to 60 seconds. The maximum is 60 seconds, otherwise the player would be there all day. Well... the bot was there all day, working its way up from 20 tile puzzles to 400+ tile puzzles. In time, it had accumulated 45+ minutes of extra time at 75 puzzles in.

While a human could probably never be that fast and efficient, it lead me to think that the infinite arcade mode might need to have a limit of 50 puzzles. At the end, your time remaining becomes your score. Then you try to beat that score. The catch is, I have only gotten to 38 puzzles in arcade mode. For each failed puzzle, the mode takes off an extra 10 seconds. So 10 becomes 20, becomes 30, into 40 seconds lost and so on.

After some fantastic feedback from someone that looks like McGyver, I have updated PABAPU once again.

- Added screen transitions that push up the current screen to the next.
    - Added a total time statement to the coffee mode ending screen.
    - Modified buttons to show keys or controls that will trigger them.
    - Modified game over screen to show more buttons with icons and less text.
    - Added some different visuals to the game over.
    - Modified the time display to include a decimal for the time.
    - Modified the buttons of the puzzle menu to be larger, and show the numbers rather than the current screen's number with the 15 puzzles on that screen.
    - Modified stars to drop particle effects in the puzzle menu.
    - Fixed the return to title screen at the game over to go to the title screen rather than to the pause menu.
    - Removed a bunch of the text including "press R to restart puzzle" since most text has been replaced with buttons and or keys and controller buttons to inform the player.

While I'm here, I may as well talk about the new screen transitions. I've never been a fan of transitions as it prolongs the game, even by a split second. It was tough finding a transition that I didn't immediately hate for PABAPU. At first there were a lot of frills with horizontal moving menus, but in time I chose a vertical sliding transition to get it out of the way as quick as possible. Like a curtain raising.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IndianaBones likes this.
  13. sitebender

sitebender Member

Due to how flat the game over screen still worked after remixing the pieces, sizes and so on, I decided to scribble out a sprite font over the span of 3+ hours. There is a big downside to this font and that's performance. It's the fact that when the game draws text in combination with excessive particles from the rocket ship, my phone will slow down. So instead of drawing the font each frame, it is only drawn once to a surface and that surface is then drawn.

[​IMG]

I also modified the game's logo to stand out more. Seen below I outlined the font to make it stand out more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it too over the top for a game that looks like:

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  14. sitebender

sitebender Member

I spent yesterday's programming sessions to enhance the performance on Android. The particles previously created a burden on the system as there were 500+ particles. While I had gone through lengths to make them run smoother in the past for lower end systems, it still was not enough with the giant new font. So now the particles are more basic, so they take up far less processing power to avoid dips in the frame rate. The particles happened between puzzles for the most part, so this was never a problem to the gameplay. Instead it was a problem getting the star between puzzle. Each puzzle completed has a short jingle. Once the jingle is complete, the player is taken to the next puzzle. So if the game's framerate is low, it takes more time to do less, turning into a gamble to collect the star on low end systems like phones.

If the game detects dips in frame rates, it will abandon its screen transitions from puzzle to puzzle. This helps turn the game from an average of 55 fps to 60 fps.

At this time, I'll open up the game to get more feedback.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    immortalx likes this.
  15. sitebender

sitebender Member

I'm bumping this to get more attention to get testers.