• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Overwatch

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
I hesitate to call myself a former TF2 player, because I still load up the game and burn time with it now and then, but I have to admit that Overwatch has been scratching the TF2 itch lately for me. The graphics are amazing, the matches are often very tight and fun, and I like the hero-centric gameplay.

It's amazing to me what progress the competitive FPS genre has made over the years as well. A few years ago I would have been upset about the lack of server browser, for example. Now, I place my trust in Blizzard, and more often than not, I wind up in a decent match with people looking to have fun and win. It's so much better than having to server hop in TF2 just because the teams are imbalanced and won't change for 30+ minutes.

So who here plays Overwatch? What do you guys think of it?

M

Misty

I like a FPS game where you pick up a gun, and you shoot people with it. No magical ghosting, shielding, teleporting to save your bottom. Your bottoms gonna get it, bottom line.

Overwatch is more like a romantic anime fantasy, Never played the game, but I probably would like it.
Still wouldnt be the same as Counter Strike GO.

I dont like COD at all. Too many unbalanced perks, repetitive gameplay, and the graphics make me sick to my stomach.

Didnt really like TF2 or Shadow run that much, felt robotic hard to aim and took too many shots to get somebody.

TF2 would be so much better if they replaced the avatars with My Little Ponies, gave them real world guns and made the game more bloody and more or less drop or injure people in only a few shots.

Last edited:

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
It's funny, I didn't think I'd be very into Overwatch, since I'd not been playing TF2 regularly for a bit, and I didn't know a lot about it up until the last week or two before launch. A friend of mine who had access to the beta got me into it though, and I've been having a great time with it.

I never had trouble with aiming in TF2, but aiming is a lot more forgiving in Overwatch. Many of the guns have an "area of effect", and there's so many different heroes to choose from, it's hard not to find one or two you prefer, at least.

S

seanm

wow nice double post, check your privilege.

lol.

I used to enjoy TF2; played spy and engineer for the most part. I've been super interested in overwatch, but I don't feel like dropping $80 CAD on it right now.

The concept of a moba-fps hybrid is pretty neat. Especially since League is so cancerous and fun destroying, but always seems like it should be fun. The idea of a dumb arcade shooter with moba characters is pretty tight.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
wow nice double post, check your privilege.
What double post are you talking about? I was replying to Misty.

I used to enjoy TF2; played spy and engineer for the most part. I've been super interested in overwatch, but I don't feel like dropping $80 CAD on it right now.

The concept of a moba-fps hybrid is pretty neat. Especially since League is so cancerous and fun destroying, but always seems like it should be fun. The idea of a dumb arcade shooter with moba characters is pretty tight.
It's not quite a moa-fps hybrid, since there aren't any little NPC-underlings spawning and such. It does have similarities though, since you are almost always working on a constant push between both sides in concentrated areas.

It's been a while since I last had to convert between USD and CAD, but the PC version is 30% cheaper (and in my opinion, features better controls), so there's that.

S

seanm

Ah, right lol. I forgot I have to watch out for that now. Nvm what I said.

--
As to the price:
On their site they list $60 USD which is $79.5 CAD
Seems to be the same price no matter the platform.

And yeah, maybe moba hybrid isn't the right word.
I just meant the asymmetrical gameplay, and movesets of the champions.

I also know what you mean about the server browser. When I got my first console FPS years ago, I was so upset that matchmaking was random. But now it just seems like the best way to do things.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Indeed, it does. And it's also nice to just click a button and wait a few seconds for a game, as opposed to setting search filters, sorting, trying to find a server that has enough players but isn't yet full, etc.

Blizzard's Overwatch site is a little tricky. Maybe this is only for US, I don't know, but... the default page is this one: https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch-origins but if you click "Overwatch also available for purchase", it will bring you here: https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/overwatch, which lists the game for $40 USD.

Edit: And yes, I see the "us" in the URL. I can only assume it will automatically change depending on what region you visit from - if it's even an issue.

S

seanm

Right on! now that is a little more reasonable lol.

I might just check it out this year after all, thanks!

And looking back, I think the reason I was most upset about no server browsing was, I would always play on certain levels to abuse glitches and jump spots in Modern Warfare.
heh

BitZero

I've been playing nearly daily since the game released. gotta get that rank 5000 somehow
Spent around 135 hours so far in total, so it's safe to say I enjoy it. Wasn't entirely sure if I would initially, but I decided why not since I had a couple of friends who got it as well. I'd recommend it, and the developers seem to be pretty responsive to the community.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Yeah, that's something I've noticed too. I really like that they explain their reasoning behind changes in the patch notes, for example.

Obviously this game is much newer and is still being balanced, but it's quite a difference from TF2, where there are tons of imbalanced weapons and most of the updates are just adding more community-made cosmetic items at this point.

BitZero

where there are tons of imbalanced weapons
rip McCree the tank killer ;_;
At least they buffed him again, since he was nerfed to death. People actually seem to play him again.

The latest big patch was neat (new hero and buffs). Really changed up the gameplay and now I see D.Va and Zenyatta everywhere... and Ana. I'm also glad they decided to limit it so that only one of each hero can be in the game in competitive. no longer must i fear the 5 winston+lucio

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
rip McCree the tank killer ;_;
At least they buffed him again, since he was nerfed to death. People actually seem to play him again.
Yeah, after the first McCree nerf, virtually nobody played as him. It is nice to see him again, though I still hate getting stunned and popped with the rapid fire shot.
The latest big patch was neat (new hero and buffs). Really changed up the gameplay and now I see D.Va and Zenyatta everywhere... and Ana. I'm also glad they decided to limit it so that only one of each hero can be in the game in competitive. no longer must i fear the 5 winston+lucio
Me too! And Ana is a neat addition, her special power (the super speed/damage buff) is a game-changer, without making it feel like the game is too different. It's taking a bit to train myself to recognize it, and when she stops teammates from healing, but I'm getting there.

TehPilot

I've been playing the occasional game of Overwatch with friends. Nothing more fun than going Roadhog and face-tanking entire enemy teams with help from two healers.

Landing a hook is such a satisfying action.