Demo Overload Hazard - Action Platformer

D

Daikenki

DOWNLOAD:
Gamejolt https://gamejolt.com/games/overloadhazard/424359
Itch.io https://daikenki.itch.io/overload-hazard

Hi there, my name is Brian and I've been working on this game for about 5 months, with some hard-working weeks and some little work weeks here and there, since I become busy with other real life things from time to time. I've also been learning as I develop this game since I'm still pretty much new to game design/development/programming, but anyways:

This game is heavily inspired by Megaman X and the entire Megaman series, which will be pretty obvious right from the start of the game, but I aim to give this game its own hook in the form of a mechanic called "Overload", (hence the game's name, which is still not necessarily set in stone) which the player builds up by dealing damage to enemies until the Overload bar is eventually full and can be activated to gain some nice powerups for a short amount of time, such as increased speed, no knockback, and decreased charge time for the charged shot.

This game is still 100% work in progress and I have a lot of ideas to add to the game pretty soon, but I have made a fully working demo which I'm pretty happy about. I wanted to add a few more things before releasing the demo but I'm just so eager for people to start play testing the game.

Currently I only have a Windows build, since I don't have a Mac or a Linux machine to test other builds on, so if anyone would like to volunteer to test the game on any of those platforms, let me know!

Spike wheel and sentry enemies

Dashing

Sliding down a wall in front of a wall sentry

Charging shot

Overload active - The game goes black and white, except for the player, whose afterimage becomes
rainbow colored.

You will definitely feel like there are some empty rooms and some things are lacking, which is what I didn't want, but for a short demo, I feel it's pretty solid. So, some of the feedback I could receive might be about things I already have in mind and/or know, which is why I'm adding a to-do list of some things to come sooner or later in no particular order:

TO-DO:
  • A Fish enemy that roams the waters.
  • Collectables, such as maximum health increasing items, tokens or some sort of currency
    which will be used to upgrade the Overload specifics.
  • UI improvements.
  • A boss fight at the end of the current first level.
  • Way more powers that the Overload will provide, such as increased damage dealt, increased move speed, decreased damage received, invincibility, airdash and many many more crazy
    stuff.

All the game art is made by me and my brother, and as you could probably tell, we are no artists, so the art is probably not final, even the game character I'm planning on retouching, as well as draw a few animations that it's lacking currently, like a frame in-between standing still and dashing and others like turning around after landing on a wall. Hopefully, I will be able to hire an artist in the future to draw all the art in the game.

The sound effects were made by me and the music that the game currently has I found on sites like opengameart.org with public domain licenses, so I plan on getting some original music as well in the future.

The game can be played with keyboard and mouse, keyboard only or gamepad. It is strongly recommended to play with a gamepad, as the experience is more authentically similar to a classic Megaman X game and it simply feels better, but of course it's possible to play any way you want.

Keyboard and mouse controls:
Movement - WASD, Arrow keys
Jump - X, Spacebar
Fire - C, Enter, Left mouse button
Dash - Z, Shift
Overload activate - Q

Gamepad controls:
Movement - D-Pad
Jump - A/X button
Fire - X/Square button
Dash - LB and RB buttons
Overload activate - LT

I hope you enjoy the demo and please give as much feedback as you can and feel free to give ideas on anything that you can think of. Let me know of any performance issues or any bugs you may find, all feedback is extremely appreciated!

Can anyone tell me how to add gifs to the post? I tried adding them as images and it doesn't seem to work, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anderson Pulgar

This is so 💩💩💩💩ing awesomeee!!
Estoy orgulloso de ti hermanoo. Te amo
Sigue desarrollando que vas demasiado bien :D

Aun no llego al OVERLOAD pero lo lograre

pixeltroid

looks excellent! I'd love to try your game. Just can you upload it to gamejolt or itch? That way you can also get a wider audience.

That....and I feel somewhat uneasy downloading from dropbox. :(

D

Daikenki

looks excellent! I'd love to try your game. Just can you upload it to gamejolt or itch? That way you can also get a wider audience.

That....and I feel somewhat uneasy downloading from dropbox. :(
Thanks! updated download link to Gamejolt ;)

pixeltroid

Thanks! updated download link to Gamejolt ;)

Downloaded it and played it.

BRAVO! Tight controls...good level design and enemy placement. It was a short but very solid demo.

Unfortunately I dont have a game controller so I had to use the keyboard, so I guess I didnt get the full experience of your game.

Some input: I think for WASD users, it would have been better if the attack buttons were mapped on the right side of the keyboard, like say - O,P and L. Your current button mapping is ok for players using the arrow keys, but very difficult for WASD players.

As a fan of action platformer and of course, Megaman, I will definitely keep an eye on your project. Do keep us updated! :D

D

Daikenki

Downloaded it and played it.

BRAVO! Tight controls...good level design and enemy placement. It was a short but very solid demo.

Unfortunately I dont have a game controller so I had to use the keyboard, so I guess I didnt get the full experience of your game.

Some input: I think for WASD users, it would have been better if the attack buttons were mapped on the right side of the keyboard, like say - O,P and L. Your current button mapping is ok for players using the arrow keys, but very difficult for WASD players.

As a fan of action platformer and of course, Megaman, I will definitely keep an eye on your project. Do keep us updated! :D
Thank you very much! Did it feel awkward to have the attack button on the enter key? I thought it was good enough since it is on the right side of the keyboard and it's a bigger key so it's easier to press, but to be honest, I really only play the game with a gamepad, so I don't really test the other controls much, maybe I should :oops: so thanks for the feedback!
I'm very glad you liked the level design, since it was really important for me to have an enjoyable but challenging first level. Will definitely keep updating the post on things I'm working on and will try to update the demo as fast as I can!

nopor

Very good,
EDIT:
SORRY MY MISTAKE MY ARROW KEY WAS STUCK, STILL CONSIDER THE GHOSTING there are many people who play from a laptop at work
if your game points to PC and you do not plan to add a key mapping try to use keys that do not generate ghosting like arrow keys + "W " and "E"

Last edited:

alper41

Hi, i played the demo and i want to say a few things

- The game doesn't teach you the controls, you have to try and find the keys and I don't think it feels good to the player.

- You die the moment you touch the thorns and it's very punishing, it would be better if we took some more damage instead, I know the original megaman games were like that but nowadays players don't like things that are too punishing

- The checkpoint was almost at the end of the episode, I guess every episode will have a checkpoint so it would make more sense if it was in the middle of the episode

- The overload mechanics are nice, I think you thought of it well

- It would be a nice touch to add the slide mechanic from the original megaman games alongside the dash mechanic.

- Walking speed is a bit slow compared to jumping speed, it feels better to move fast in this type of games

- It would be nice if the characters and enemies reacted to the damage they took(slight knockback or minor screen shacking)