overlapping background question

R

randomnessfactor

I'll start off by saying I'm new to game making but I like to think out of the box to solve problems.
So what I want to do is essentially erase part of a background and the way I think I want to do that is create a circular background on the other and then erase the circle I created to have a hole in my background. Is this possible? because I know you can select a color id and erase that but Im not quite sure how to do that either

A

Aura

If the hole remains static at the same position of the background, then use a third party tool to remove that part to create a hole. Alternatively, set opacity to 0, draw mode to "Replace" and draw a circle in the built-in sprite editor.

If that is not the case, draw the background to a surface and punch a hole using blend modes, then draw the surface. Let us know if the former isn't what you are trying to do and I'd be happy to elaborate a bit more on this.

R

randomnessfactor

If the hole remains static at the same position of the background, then use a third party tool to remove that part to create a hole. Alternatively, set opacity to 0, draw mode to "Replace" and draw a circle in the built-in sprite editor.

If that is not the case, draw the background to a surface and punch a hole using blend modes, then draw the surface. Let us know if the former isn't what you are trying to do and I'd be happy to elaborate a bit more on this.
um the thing is I want to use the background to be the land I walk on. and have pixel perfect destruction with it. so What I was thinking was having a big background of like distant trees or whatever (also I wanted to be able to see outside the room a bit at both sides with some background outside. but if this somehow isn't possible I can just put a subtle barrier around the room as if its outside the room)

But anyways I wanted layers the big background behind everything, the tiles that check collisions, and then the background on top that can be essentially sliced up as if it was an image in paint. I know all of this is possible in unity but I was hoping to do it in game maker and I have no knowledge of unity. but I think game maker can accomplish this effect somehow I just want to replace a circular portion of the top background to be invisible or to delete it so that i can see the back layer background I don't have to be able to walk on the background i just need it to not be visible I will use the tiles behind the background to walk on (so the game is like a platformer where you can fully control the terrain add on to it by throwing mud and destroy by throwing bombs)