• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Output delay AFTER 'Options: [Path]\MainOptions.json and BEFORE Attempt to set gamepadcount [SOLVED]

J

Junkycube

Edited Title and Main Post for clarity of issue and solution.

Hello,
I have tried searching for this issue and found 1 other unanswered thread that was similar however I cannot figure out what is wrong.

When I go to build even something as simple as an empty room with a red square in it, the build is nearly instant, then there is a ~30s delay before the game runs. Even if I publish into an executable this is the case.

I can record this if needed.

I am running a decent machine, windows 10. Unsure of what the issue can be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Thought I fixed it by re-installing on non-SSD drive but issue has returned after 2 or 3 runs.

Okay so when I compile I get a Z, Y, and X virtual drive. Is this normal?

Edit:

SOLUTION:

So after trying a lot I figured out the source of the problem.

For some reason my computer is seeing a 💩💩💩💩load of HIDs that it needs to sort through before launching any game that is looking for a gamepad. I went into my Device Manager and disabled every HID that started with 'HID-compliant...'. I don't know what these are and nothing seems to have been negatively impacted after a few hours of regular use.

Hopefully this helps someone else with a similar issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Junkycube

The XYZ drives are normal, and you can find out why in this topic: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/x-y-and-z-drive.63862/

About the start-up delay, do you have some sort of antivirus software running that has a real-time scan active? It may be scanning the game every time it runs, so try disabling any security software you have temporarily to check if it's caused by any of them.
Only windows defender which is disabled and I still get a long delay.

Probably your RAM? But some slight delay is normal. I experience it too every now and then on a 16GB RAM.
I am running 16GB 2200MHz.

Couldn't edit my previous post:

The final post in this thread seems to have fixed my issue: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...n-out-of-memory-not-solved.30257/#post-293122

Edit:

Okay maybe not a permanent fix but its getting me closer.

When I run the final lines that I get are:

Code:
DoSteam
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/ProjectOil_30FE910\MainOptions.json
Then it hangs, then, when finished, proceeds to give me the following:

Code:
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 12
When it doesn't hang (after a restart or something), the first line is instead:

Code:
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0
If anyone knows a permanent solution to the gamepad count, I think that might help me greatly.

J

Junkycube

It is normal and nothing to worry about, but the creation of the virtual drives can now be turned off in preferences in the latest beta release.
Nice to know you can disable it going forward.

I think I was able to solve my issue. The gamepad issue made me think to look at my device manager.

It appears I have 8 or so "HID-compliant... ...devices" underneath Human Interface Devices.

Disabling those has so far gotten good results. Will give it some time but I think this may have fixed it.

Edit: Edited first post with solution.