Out of curiosity.(would you donate your time?)

flyinian

Just out of curiosity. How many of you would be willing to donate your time to a game that you like and want to succeed and how far would you go?

Example: If someone were to make your dream game and they were a solo/small team. Would you donate your time/energy/etc to the development of the game and assist on quick/easy jobs? How about massive/complicated jobs?

What would you require/expect from the developers before you started helping?

How likely are you to donate your time/energy/etc?

Would you expect payment if the game became a massive hit?

Would being mentioned in the game's credits be enough for you?

What would you not do no matter what?

What would you do non stop?

Feel free to add....

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
It all depends on how stable your life is, and where your priorities are at.
If I am in school and have a lot of work for that, I wouldn't work non stop on a game, I would work for school because that's the priority in life.
Or earning enough to live, family and friends are also priorities over hobbies like game making.
If there is enough free time to work, I would only dedicate myself fully in someone else's project if I can discern the other members or leader have a clear vision, a good planning and an effecient workflow for the game. If they know what aspects are good and what will be liked/disliked and why it also says a lot.
Ideas are one thing, but making them practical and possible to attain is another.

TL;DR Only when I have enough free time, and everything about the project feels right I'd join a team and dedicate myself in it. And of course I'd want a share of money where it's to be made.

But again I can't code or use GMS2 well so who am I to talk about this?

G

GM029

It's pretty simple. If someone puts a significant amount of work helping you to build a game in their free time then the game goes on to be a huge commercial success then 100% yes they should be paid for their time.

If it's a passion project that never goes anywhere/struggles to get off the ground then sure, just do it for fun.

The truth is though, people that are just helping out for fun will often get bored and just disappear.

If you really want a game made it's best to be mentally prepared to pretty much handle everything yourself.

Since I can't even get people to participate when I'm paying them up front, it's tough to expect people to donate their time.

Just out of curiosity. How many of you would be willing to donate your time to a game that you like and want to succeed and how far would you go?
-- In my younger years I donated a lot of my time to projects spearheaded by businesses and made a lot of money.

Example: If someone were to make your dream game and they were a solo/small team. Would you donate your time/energy/etc to the development of the game and assist on quick/easy jobs? How about massive/complicated jobs?
-- I already have, mostly with mods of other games and even had a few job offers. Quick and easy jobs are always the best, but then people start to demand more. You did something simple, then they want something grand.

What would you require/expect from the developers before you started helping?
-- Their own drive to equal mine.

How likely are you to donate your time/energy/etc?
-- Very, but I have enough money to waste my time.

Would you expect payment if the game became a massive hit?
-- Sure.

Would being mentioned in the game's credits be enough for you?
-- I've been a part of a lot of bigger games and never credited. Two games that grew into massive, money making successes pay me hush money to keep the secret that they're not actually a solo developer.

What would you not do no matter what?
-- Crimes. Keep a project going long after someone else's interest has died. Keep going after I lose respect for a person spearheading the project. I've quit jobs outside of game development because I lose respect for the bosses or managers. One office party that goes wrong can change my entire outlook on people.

What would you do non stop?
-- Make money.