Released Out NOW on Steam! StoneTide: Age of Pirates - Sandbox, Open World, Pirate Action Experience

S

StoneTide

Out Now on Steam! :cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1039350/StoneTide_Age_of_Pirates/

How will you decide your fate in the World of StoneTide?

Embark on an epic open world pirating adventure, roam the seas and see where it takes you. Build your ship and gather your crew! Blast, fight and loot the corrupted lands and seas of enemy pirates, ghosts, bosses and much more!

Key Features:

Epic ship battles! Immerse yourself in a unique survival action experience that allows you to board, plunder enemy ships and distant Islands with your crew whether they are real players or NPC’s you've hired.

Gather resources! The world of StoneTide is filled with many rocks, minerals and trees to gather so that you can build your own ship, weapons and armor to fight against the unjustly sea.

Explore! There are many uncharted islands to discover on your journey, make sure you setup camp just in case ghost pirates come for you at night.

Online PVE and PVP! Explore the seas with your friends in Local and Online Multiplayer!

Videos:

*Please note that the game is still being developed and will be released soon*
Any feedback or suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks!

See More Media & Follow Development Below!

Out Now on Steam! :cool: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1039350/StoneTide_Age_of_Pirates/

Join our Official Discord server! https://discord.gg/xtbDNxM

https://www.facebook.com/StoneTidegame
https://twitter.com/StoneTidegame
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3KjkWlNuueq4zu37vdwIZw

(Devlogs & Updates will now be posted on social media as we work on a new site, discord will act as a forum replacement)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fern

I've been seeing a number of pirate games suddenly pop-up from GM devs but I'd like to think that they just enjoy pirates as much as I do.

Electros

"Arrr, hoist the mainsail, Bosun Unnamed!". Not sure it's my cup of tea, but like the graphics style, and looks ripe for some good PvP comedy value. :)

S

StoneTide

"Arrr, hoist the mainsail, Bosun Unnamed!". Not sure it's my cup of tea, but like the graphics style, and looks ripe for some good PvP comedy value. :)
Lol thanks for the feedback and the names will be changeable soon :D

G

The template for this was set by the awesome, legendary Uncharted Waters and its sequel by Koei back in the early 90s. I haven't played Seabass's game; both it and this look really promising. But it'd be very silly to talk about influences in this case. Game makers have been trying to recapture the Koei experience for decades, with many permutations, and never with success. This is an area that can use all the competition possible, because this particular sub-sub-genre starkly shows that it's really all about execution.

Beyond mechanics, there's a real difficulty because this kind of game relies on storytelling, both scripted and emergent. 💩💩💩💩 that up, and the experience is blown. There's a bad temptation for indie devs to rely on dorm room humor and memes that can be unintentionally devastating. I'd happily play every game that got it right.

G

dw I'm not serious about it, I've added "pirate open world game" to my todo games list too :p
Well, it's really hard to get away from the fear that "someone's made my game." The same dark worry is felt in academia, writing, visual arts, pretty much anything creative. In games, because so much is about execution, and because we're all working within settled "game mechanics" frameworks that are difficult to break out of (and most innovation ends up un-fun), the feeling has less of a rational basis than these other fields. But it's still a running fear, and this was a good example of why we shouldn't think that way.

andev

If the original creator doesn't like that you took inspiration from their game, there's nothing they can do about it aside from post about it angrily, and maybe cause a few members of their fanbase to attack you, depending on how large the similarity is. So long as you're not using IP from their game (sprites, music, sound etc), and you haven't just made a blatant clone, there's nothing to fear.

G

At the end of the day everyone gets inspiration from someone else.
One of my undergrad English professors, for some reason, made this part of our Erotic Poetry class. He said something that's stayed with me longer than Swinburne's questionably erotic poems: "Creativity is synthesis." I think we were talking chimeras or hermaphrodites or both, but, as far as I've been able to tell since then, he was right.

L

Lonewolff

Wow, this looks nice and clean. Love what you have so far. :)

S

StoneTide

Thanks guys! I should be able to get some better gameplay footage soon.

Geoff Jones

<=== Big Pirate game fan.

This is def something I would play. The art looks fantastic. Look forward to seeing a demo!

F

FROGANUS

This looks awesome! seems epic in scale- survival, sailing, combat. curious just how the pvp encounters will go and how people will generally navigate and find each other.

issue: Sharks
Bernie: "Sharks are badass!"
Hillary: "Sharks are totally lame and not cool at all"

S

StoneTide

Thanks a lot guys!

This looks awesome! seems epic in scale- survival, sailing, combat. curious just how the pvp encounters will go and how people will generally navigate and find each other.

issue: Sharks
Bernie: "Sharks are badass!"
Hillary: "Sharks are totally lame and not cool at all"
There will be an in-game map!

Sharks are okay, but you know what is cooler than sharks? A Kraken.

The game looks neat! I might try it out if you release a demo.
We are working on a playable version asap and definitely thinking about a Kraken. ;)

P

Petr Skornok

Looks pretty awesome!

One thing that disturbed me a bit were the island's sharp edges: see the video at 0:21

I would prefer to smooth out the edges
Snímek obrazovky 2017-10-18 v 9.55.57.png Snímek obrazovky 2017-10-18 v 9.56.08.png

S

StoneTide

Greetings! Here's a quick look at the workbench crafting system, let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

StoneTide

StoneTiders! Here's a quick look at the furnace crafting system while we patiently wait for more sprites to have a playable version of the game ready asap.

Field Magic

Great job so far! Everything looks so professional and well planned. If I had to give any feedback on what you have here, it would be to maybe try to find a way to break up the water tiles somehow. Its only really noticeable when your zoomed out though so no big deal.
Like everyone else, looking forward to actually playing it.

Blacksmith looks great, easily recognisable.