Free Our first Game: "Cecil"

E

ElTitoDeiron

Hello there.

Me and my mate recently made our first game in our life. We had no idea about how to make a videogame, so being this our first try we know that this game is very simple ( In addition, there is one annoying bug that happens when the left hand of the PJ collides with the wall, this makes that the PJ gets stuck, and the only way to get unstucked is going to the right direction of the PJ ).

The reason that we are posting this game is because we want your honest opinions about this game and also advices to improve our skills making videogames.

We don't know how to upload a game to a web page or to this page, so we upload it to MediaFire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sxnqhbv2njbzz8j/Cecil+Game.rar

Instructions:
The arrows - For Moving
The spacebar - ( In the Second Room ) To make move the phantoms
J - Automatically go to next room

( The main menu of the game is in Spanish ) // Start Game - Exit

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Congratulations on finishing your first game. Feels good, right? :)

I think it's a good start. The idea behind the gameplay is good, and the mazes look pretty good. The player's character is a good animation and the enemy graphics are OK. So graphically it's fairly good.

The main problem I had was getting the player stuck, so he couldn't move. I didn't get stuck permanently, but I had to frequently adjust the player so he wasn't touching a wall. Otherwise, he couldn't move. These sort of problems are common. But the good news is that they're easy to fix with a little adjustment to the code and/or the sprite bounding box.

So I'd work on that right away, so players won't get frustrated.

Beyond that, the game has promise. It looks pretty good and you have several levels completed. Just keep going and you'll have a good game.

D

darthlupi

Nice start at a first game! You should look around at the examples for examples of top down collision etc.

Make sure your bounding box is set to manual rectangle. It might be that you are using automatic precise mask that makes it so you accidentally allow your sprite to overlap the blocks.

Keep hacking away! There are so many people that never complete a game. Everyone is a step towards a great career or amazing hobby.

E

ElTitoDeiron

Congratulations on finishing your first game. Feels good, right? :)

I think it's a good start. The idea behind the gameplay is good, and the mazes look pretty good. The player's character is a good animation and the enemy graphics are OK. So graphically it's fairly good.

The main problem I had was getting the player stuck, so he couldn't move. I didn't get stuck permanently, but I had to frequently adjust the player so he wasn't touching a wall. Otherwise, he couldn't move. These sort of problems are common. But the good news is that they're easy to fix with a little adjustment to the code and/or the sprite bounding box.

So I'd work on that right away, so players won't get frustrated.

Beyond that, the game has promise. It looks pretty good and you have several levels completed. Just keep going and you'll have a good game.
The "game" is already "finished". :rolleyes: That was just the first contact with the GM to know how it works and more.
Now we want to make a different game but with the knowledge that we have now.

We posted our game here to know how the forums work and to know how to improve our already done game.

So thank you very much! :3

chance
darthlup