• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Otto and the Ancient Worlds (8-bit 2D Platformer)

J

Jordan Marx

TwitterBanner_Otto.png

Otto and the Ancient Worlds
Obvious Gravity Games LLC

- DEMO RELEASE -
Click here to download Otto and the Ancient Worlds DEMO (Windows).
You can also signup to our mailing list to receive future updates.

- FEEDBACK -
After playing the demo, we would appreciate any feedback about the game by filling out this form.

- ABOUT -
Otto and the Ancient Worlds is an 8-bit 2D adventure platformer about an archaeologist who discovers an ancient library filled with magical books. Each book contains a living story of a mythology or folklore, and Otto mistakenly releases their contents into his world! Otto must return the mythology and folklore back to their books and destroy an 8-headed beast that has been released in the process.

- FEATURES -
  • NES styled controls (two buttons).
  • 8 selectable stages, each with a unique theme and boss based off of a historical mythology or folklore.
  • After defeating a boss, collect their artifact weapon to give Otto a special ability that also transforms his outfit.
  • Each boss has a unique weakness to an artifact weapon, therefore choosing the order in which the levels are played can be a critical component of the gameplay.
  • Encounter a vast variety of historical figures from mythologies and folklore to help you in your journey.
- SCREENSHOTS -
title.PNG

g_1.PNG

g_5.PNG

g_7.PNG

I hope you all enjoy the demo!!

THANKS,
Jordan

T

Tayoyo

Pretty awesome! I only played until the third checkpoint, but it seems like you got a good mix of Castelvania and Shovel Knight in here. The art is very good, but there are plenty of things that should changed. I like the idea of the fists and feet coming out of the walls, they're well telegraphed and are fun to avoid. The enemy designs were good, and I liked the skeletons. It was a pretty nice touch that you could give shakespear his head back too.

The enemies that shoot fireballs out of their mouths shouldn't damage the player from touching him. They don't seem very dangerous, so there's no way for the player to know until it's too late.
The controls are a little weird. I think that spacebar for jump would have worked a bit better. Also, it wasn't clear that I was wearing the shakespear outfit because all I did was enter the inventory to put it on. It'd be nice if you have the player equip it with a button press so that they know that they actually did it.
The design for Ottos is boring. The colours don't stand out well, and if you made him a silhouette he wouldn't be very recognizable. (Take a look at the silhouettes for some of the most iconic gaming characters and you'll see how important it is.) Be sure to give him a good stance and bring out the features of your character. Maybe make him hold the whip to the side instead on his body, have a big hat etc. Also, Ottos seems to old for this girl. Unless she's a goldigger (which might actually make sense considering Ottos is super rich), old people don't date young people out of love very often
This kinda ties into the character design, but the animations are bad. I know you might be going for the 8-bit feel and/or might not have anyone who's very good at animation on your team, but it's super important in bringing the characters to life. I'm pretty sure the walk cycle for Ottos was only 3 frames long, and it doesn't look good. Having bad graphics and saying it's 8-bit still means you have bad graphics. The art for the world is great, animations no so much. Shovel knight is a good example of what to do. The character is recognizable and has good animations, and stands out from the rest of the world with his bright blue armor. There's nothing wrong with give your adventurer a purple scarf or something. It's a video game and your world, so go crazy.
I know it's a demo, but having some sort of tutorial is always nice, or at least teaching the player through doing. You did a good job at that with the wall jump (which needs to feel more bouncy) but not teaching the players how to jump in the first place kinda sucks.
I also feel like checkpoints should heal the player or refill some of the goblet.
You may also want to rethink the general story, or atleast how it is going to be told. Much isn't explained about the world, just how the two characters are adventurers. While the art is amazing for the slideshow, the text moves slowly and nothing really makes me wanna learn more. The girl who I know nothing about goes missing but no one cares except Ottos because all we saw was her just standing around in the cutscenes doing nothing. Also, there was no villain or overarching plot except go see if the girl might be in trouble in Greece. There's not really that much of an incentive for the player to want to learn more. It'd be cool to surprise the player by ending the cutscene mid scene and throwing them into the game, or having the player have more of a reason to go on this adventure.
Just like the animations, 8-bit sounds effects sound bad if you don't put a little more work into them. It doesn't feel good to whip enemies or jump as the sound effects just feel kinda tacked on.

I know it's a lot, but I think it's best if I don't sugar coat anything and just tell you what's wrong. I do think it's pretty cool, and with a bit of work it could easily improve a lot. Remember that the most important thing is that your players are having fun, so if anything gets in the way kill it with fire. You've got some really great ideas and there's some really nice touches, so good luck!

J

Jordan Marx

Pretty awesome! I only played until the third checkpoint, but it seems like you got a good mix of Castelvania and Shovel Knight in here. The art is very good, but there are plenty of things that should changed. I like the idea of the fists and feet coming out of the walls, they're well telegraphed and are fun to avoid. The enemy designs were good, and I liked the skeletons. It was a pretty nice touch that you could give shakespear his head back too.

The enemies that shoot fireballs out of their mouths shouldn't damage the player from touching him. They don't seem very dangerous, so there's no way for the player to know until it's too late.
The controls are a little weird. I think that spacebar for jump would have worked a bit better. Also, it wasn't clear that I was wearing the shakespear outfit because all I did was enter the inventory to put it on. It'd be nice if you have the player equip it with a button press so that they know that they actually did it.
The design for Ottos is boring. The colours don't stand out well, and if you made him a silhouette he wouldn't be very recognizable. (Take a look at the silhouettes for some of the most iconic gaming characters and you'll see how important it is.) Be sure to give him a good stance and bring out the features of your character. Maybe make him hold the whip to the side instead on his body, have a big hat etc. Also, Ottos seems to old for this girl. Unless she's a goldigger (which might actually make sense considering Ottos is super rich), old people don't date young people out of love very often
This kinda ties into the character design, but the animations are bad. I know you might be going for the 8-bit feel and/or might not have anyone who's very good at animation on your team, but it's super important in bringing the characters to life. I'm pretty sure the walk cycle for Ottos was only 3 frames long, and it doesn't look good. Having bad graphics and saying it's 8-bit still means you have bad graphics. The art for the world is great, animations no so much. Shovel knight is a good example of what to do. The character is recognizable and has good animations, and stands out from the rest of the world with his bright blue armor. There's nothing wrong with give your adventurer a purple scarf or something. It's a video game and your world, so go crazy.
I know it's a demo, but having some sort of tutorial is always nice, or at least teaching the player through doing. You did a good job at that with the wall jump (which needs to feel more bouncy) but not teaching the players how to jump in the first place kinda sucks.
I also feel like checkpoints should heal the player or refill some of the goblet.
You may also want to rethink the general story, or atleast how it is going to be told. Much isn't explained about the world, just how the two characters are adventurers. While the art is amazing for the slideshow, the text moves slowly and nothing really makes me wanna learn more. The girl who I know nothing about goes missing but no one cares except Ottos because all we saw was her just standing around in the cutscenes doing nothing. Also, there was no villain or overarching plot except go see if the girl might be in trouble in Greece. There's not really that much of an incentive for the player to want to learn more. It'd be cool to surprise the player by ending the cutscene mid scene and throwing them into the game, or having the player have more of a reason to go on this adventure.
Just like the animations, 8-bit sounds effects sound bad if you don't put a little more work into them. It doesn't feel good to whip enemies or jump as the sound effects just feel kinda tacked on.

I know it's a lot, but I think it's best if I don't sugar coat anything and just tell you what's wrong. I do think it's pretty cool, and with a bit of work it could easily improve a lot. Remember that the most important thing is that your players are having fun, so if anything gets in the way kill it with fire. You've got some really great ideas and there's some really nice touches, so good luck!
Thank you for the feedback!

You will be able to change the controls in the final version, so jump can be any button you like etc. We designed Otto's normal outfit to be a little basic because you will get 8+ outfits in the game that will make him look fancy (also whip upgrades). Interesting point on the silhouette, I want Otto to be more defined by his huge beard and many various outfits. Persephone is actually Otto's partner in adventures, they aren't lovers! I was trying to avoid a lover thing and go more towards friendship. Otto's run sprite is influenced by NES Mega Man and his whip attack obviously by Castlevania. The checkpoints refill your goblet by 1, and also give you some shiny fresh treasure! Maybe it isn't obvious that they refill 1 charge.

So for the cutscenes we want them to fade in with some cool color transition but for now they are just static. I'm trying to design the game as a NES game so I want to avoid tutorials and instead teach the mechanics through level design. There is a main villain but the demo doesn't have it implemented in yet! There are a lot of things still missing from the intro stage, including a 3 minute cartoon at the end of the intro stages which explains more story.

I really appreciate your response, I'll be posting more updates in the future! :)

EDIT:
If you keep playing the demo you will encounter the Greek God Hephaestus and his quirky machines!

Last edited by a moderator:

pixeltroid

Looks excellent. I got the Megaman reference as soon as I saw the cover :)

I will play your game as soon as I get home!

enemies that shoot fireballs out of their mouths shouldn't damage the player from touching him.
I agree with this. Unless the enemies themselves were shown with spikes or a force field around them, it makes no sense to have them damage the player.

J

Jordan Marx

Looks excellent. I got the Megaman reference as soon as I saw the cover :)

I will play your game as soon as I get home!

I agree with this. Unless the enemies themselves were shown with spikes or a force field around them, it makes no sense to have them damage the player.
Awesome, I hope you like it! Right now touching any enemy will hurt the main player much like NES and SNES games.

T

TGHoly

Some how the game run really slow for me and truly not only your game but also the game I made when I try to run it outside GMS2 compiler no idea if it was my machine false or something wrong with exporter...

Joe Ellis

Haha it's a play on the Mega Man 3 NES cover art!

Gotta love oldskool cover art, wish they still made one's like these.

The game looks really good, and is actually really well made. I couldn't make it past the wooden horse, the bit where it gets the metal head, that bit was just too hard:D One of the best things about it though is how hard it is, it's really frustrating but if you persist, you get there, which makes it really addictive

J

Jordan Marx

Some how the game run really slow for me and truly not only your game but also the game I made when I try to run it outside GMS2 compiler no idea if it was my machine false or something wrong with exporter...
I'm so sorry this is happening :(, I haven't heard of anyone experiencing this problem before. Maybe your computer specifications are too low? Maybe you have too many applications running on your computer, you can close them in task manager(also could try closing your browser).

J

Jordan Marx

Gotta love oldskool cover art, wish they still made one's like these.

The game looks really good, and is actually really well made. I couldn't make it past the wooden horse, the bit where it gets the metal head, that bit was just too hard:D One of the best things about it though is how hard it is, it's really frustrating but if you persist, you get there, which makes it really addictive
Thank you for playing the game, Joe!

We are going to try and physically make a NES box just for fun! I miss actually owning a game, rather than just getting a digital download.

Thank you for the feedback, and yea that Trojan Donkey can be tough! You gotta slide a lot during that fight or you'll get killed. If you make it past the Trojan Donkey, then you get to ride a goat as a raft! :D

J

Jordan Marx

I love the art. Did you use a certain colour palette?
We don't fully follow the 8-bit NES restrictions! But the pixel artist tries to keep the color count low, especially on sprites and tiles(3 to 4 colors max).