• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion OST's Low Volume

E

ethian

Greetings...

In my past postings, i said i was complaining about Undertale OST and its master volume that is not loud enough for me to enjoy...

Now, i need to say: i discovered the same problem is present in other OST's, even the one my acquitances is working on... event the OST i'm working on!!!

Working on the OST without budget, i'm using LMMS to make the music, along with free royality-free soundfonts... and using Audacity to make the music louder and put other sound effects... the same thing is doing one of my acquitances with their OST...

When using Audacity in volume changing, we avoid making the up and down parts of the song's full wave be outta the box or something else... it's for avoid making the program detect the song is loud by appearing something small and red on the volume section or something else... also, avoiding clicking sounds... but with this, the sound is not loud enough, so, we violate the rule of "No up and down parts of the song's wave outta the box", and we finally export the final songs, no matter the sounding clicks because of the loudness... we ajust the volume with the "Equalization" tool, with a preset that makes the song the loudest, but we make the song not so loud and not so low-volume, but just a bit loud, but not so loud enough to hurt the ears.

The acquitance also complains about the low master volume of the Undertale OST, they also have the sswear word problem i have, they also know Nat Geo Kids and Undertale... we're similar!

And Quick FAQ : When the OST of mine will be released? Never, sorry, it's of personal use only, it's because it's loud enough to make me enjoy it and has click noises because of the loudness... same goes with my acquitance's OST...

What do you think about all this?

D

Deleted member 13992

A screenshot of the waveform (from audacity or anything else) would help to see how close to 0db it is.

Compression would probably help. The audio engineering kind, not the file size kind.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
A compressor VST or effect in your DAW of the track you're creating makes the loudest parts more quiet, while not altering the quiet parts, that way you can put your master volume to render higher without it clipping. Another good thing is a leveler, which makes the loudest parts quieter, and the quiet parts louder.

So look into "leveler" and "compressor". Apply both VST/effects to your track, make the master volume louder and you've got more loudness in your track.

E

ethian

Well...

See the Audacity waves? There's two colors in there, a darker blue one, and a brighter blue one, the bright blue one represents the "core" of the volume or something else, i discovered that the songs of the Undertale OST have their volume core (or something else) aprox. 32 pixels tall when checked in MS Paint, and other song that i know, and it has the enough volume to enjoy, is aprox. 56 pixels tall and has the darker blue color not bypassing the up and down parts of the wave zone or something else (If the dark blue color is bypassing the up and down parts of the wave zone, in the volume checker or something else, a red thing appears at the right, saying that the song is loud, and with this, clicks sound when the sound is heard, this mustn't occur on our OST)

So... with our OST... how to make our OST's tracks and their volume core be 56 pixels tall without making the dark blue color bypass the up and down parts of the wave zone?

E

ethian

I exported the tracks to .mp3, the tracks bypass the up and down parts of the wave zone (nevermind because (i have no time to explain it)), and isn't so loud after all... also, just a few clicks are heard, so i'll publish the OST's anyways...

Better not....