Game Jam OSG Jam

T

TDSrock

So I'm seeing this notation happen a couple times:
Code:
player[? "type"]
The logic I see here is that Gamemaker supports associative arrays but require the '?' to use them. Am I correct here?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Code:
player[? "type"]
The logic I see here is that Gamemaker supports associative arrays but require the '?' to use them. Am I correct here?
That's accessor syntax for ds_map. So, if you do
Code:
player = ds_map_create();
You can later do
Code:
player[?"x"] = 1;
which will secretly compile to
Code:
ds_map_set(player, "x", 1);

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
Code:
player[? "type"]
Those are ds_maps and ? is their accessor. You can look both these things in the manual.

Roa

no sound unfortunately
I don't think a single person had sound. I pissed around with dynamic audio buffers, but it just wasn't happening. I didnt have enough experience and almost no reference to any of this stuff. Even Mike didn't piss with it, so its probably more trouble and more time consumeing than its worth.

I'm also planning on having sound! It all depends if I have enough time though... I'm running out of days! I'm planning to decode some encoded sfxr sound effects at the game start, and save them as audio resources that I can use when I want to. I haven't looked at audio buffers in particular, but I have learned a lot about buffers in general! I was clueless before starting development of my game. Now I learned how to use them for data storage and decoding strings. I like knowing that I have more knowledge about them solely thanks to being forced to use them in this jam :p

J

JimmyBG

I don't think a single person had sound. I pissed around with dynamic audio buffers, but it just wasn't happening. I didnt have enough experience and almost no reference to any of this stuff. Even Mike didn't piss with it, so its probably more trouble and more time consuming than its worth.
Yeah I had a quick look at audio buffers, I'll be interested to see how @Nocturne made the sounds (guess is you loaded actual sound files to create the buffers from originally)

J

JimmyBG

Haha either you got lucky or spent a lot of time playing around to get those results! :D

Roa

Yeah, I have to admit defeat to @Nocturne after all that smack I talked. Its hurts! I tell you man, these jams happen at the worst times, and then I go off and try to learn last minute tricks and have collisions backfire in my face. It was a mess. What little time I did have for it, I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted. under prepared for the whole event.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Hmmmm, so far I can recall @Nocturne's, @Mike's, @YellowAfterlife's, @Coded Games' and @JimmyBG playable entries, and @Nallebeorn's, @Surgeon_'s, @Roa's and @shadowspear1's screenshots (where the last had only screenshot of code ASCII-art, rather than the actual game). Anyone else I'm missing?

If things go well, it seems we'll hit that 10 participants mark set by @Jobo, especially with me and other people who weren't posting their progress as visibly. :)

Micah_DS

I currently have a little under 300 lines of code (including comments and spaces) and there isn't even enough to play for a proper demo, so I'll just leave a screenshot and bow out of the jam. I see no reason to submit this because pretty much all you can do is move the player character around the screen. I don't even have collisions programmed. I have no more time left to give towards this within the time frame.
NoMoreTime_NoCaffiene_NoWay.png
Had two free days to do this yet still was unable to complete it. I think I spent too much time learning new things. I should've stuck to what I already knew. Shame on me for learning. :p Nah, but really, my main issue with jams is settling on a game idea that is fun and simple enough to complete in time. I literally spent the entire first day thinking up ideas and shooting them down after minimal prototyping. I'm too picky.

Roa

@Alice Its runable, but its not a game. its a total mess though.
Code:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//first run innitials
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
if room_speed!=60{
room_speed=60;
draw_set_color(c_white);
window_set_size( 800, 600 );
window_set_position(-400+display_get_width()*.5,-300+display_get_height()*.5)
texture_set_interpolation(0)
texture_set_repeat(1)
///sound
//buff_beep=buffer_create(32768,buffer_fixed,1)
//buffer_seek(buff_beep,buffer_seek_start,0)
//repeat(32768/4410){buffer_write(buff_beep,buffer_u8,90)}
//snd_beep=audio_create_buffer_sound(buff_beep,buffer_u8,4410,0,32768,audio_mono)
///player
p_x=256;
p_y=256;
p_z=0;
p_swing=0;
att=0;
p_xprev=0;
p_yprev=0;
p_turn_ac=0;
p_gun_type=0;
p_dir=0;
p_zdir=0;
mouse_lock=0
c_brown=make_color_rgb(70, 20, 9);

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//RESOURCES: levels: textures:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

mod_level[5]=d3d_model_create();
mod_level[4]=d3d_model_create();
mod_level[3]=d3d_model_create();
mod_level[2]=d3d_model_create();
mod_level[1]=d3d_model_create();
col_level[0]=ds_grid_create(4096/32,4096/32)
super_string="CCCCCCCC________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCC________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCC________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCC________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCC____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________MMMMM___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________M_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________MMMMMMMM________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________WWWWWWWW____WWWWWWWW____________________________________________________________________________________________________________WWWWWWWWW__WWWWWWWWW____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W____WWWW__WWWW____W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W__________________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________W_________P________W____________________________________________________________________________________________________________WWWWWWWW____WWWWWWWW_________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCC____CCCCCCCCCCCCCC________CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC_____________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________M________________________________________________________M______________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC____CCCCCCCC____________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCC____CCCCCCCC____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________C__________________C____________________________________________________________________________________________________________CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________"

//var string_level=levels[0,0]
var xx=0, yy=0; ii=0;
repeat((room_height/32))
{

repeat((room_width/32))
        {
        ii+=1
        var temp=string_char_at(super_string,ii)
        if temp="W" { d3d_model_block(mod_level[0],xx*32,(yy*32),0,(xx*32)+32,(yy*32)+32,96,2,6); d3d_model_block(mod_level[0],(xx*32)+8,(yy*32)+8,96,(xx*32)+24,(yy*32)+24,96+24,1,1); ds_grid_add(col_level[0],xx,yy,1) }
        if temp="M" { d3d_model_block(mod_level[1],xx*32,(yy*32),0,(xx*32)+32,(yy*32)+32,96,2,6); d3d_model_block(mod_level[1],(xx*32)+8,(yy*32)+8,96,(xx*32)+24,(yy*32)+24,96+24,1,1); ds_grid_add(col_level[0],xx,yy,1) }
        if temp="C" { d3d_model_block(mod_level[2],xx*32,(yy*32),0,(xx*32)+32,(yy*32)+32,64,2,4); var chance=choose(1,0) if chance=0
                { var z=64; d3d_model_cone(mod_level[4],(xx*32),(yy*32),z+8,(xx*32)+32,(yy*32)+32,z+42,4,4,1,8)
                d3d_model_cylinder(mod_level[3],(xx*32)+8,(yy*32)+8,z,(xx*32)+24,(yy*32)+24,z+8,1,1,0,8)
                d3d_model_cone(mod_level[4],(xx*32),(yy*32),z+20,(xx*32)+32,(yy*32)+32,z+60,4,4,1,8)
                d3d_model_cone(mod_level[4],(xx*32)+4,(yy*32)+4,z+42,(xx*32)+32-4,(yy*32)+32-4,z+72,4,4,1,8) } ds_grid_add(col_level[0],xx,yy,1) }

if temp="P" then {p_x=(xx*32)+16; p_y=(yy*32)+16;}
        //if temp="E" {ds_list_add(enemy_list,)}
        xx+=1
        }
        yy+=1
        xx=0

}

///gen textures
var surf=surface_create(32,32);
surface_set_target(surf)
draw_set_color(c_white)
draw_rectangle(0,0,31,31,0)
draw_set_color(c_black)
draw_rectangle(0,0,31,31,1)
draw_set_color(c_white)
surface_reset_target();

tex_wall=background_create_from_surface(surf,0,0,32,32,0,0);
surface_free(surf);

surface_set_target(surf)
draw_set_color(c_white)

repeat(63){
var alp=64+irandom(64)
var c_temp=make_color_rgb(alp, alp, alp);
var rx=irandom(32)
var ry=-16+irandom(32)

draw_set_color(c_temp)
draw_rectangle(rx,ry-1,rx-1,ry+32,0)}

draw_set_color(c_white)
surface_reset_target();

tex_rough=background_create_from_surface(surf,0,0,32,32,0,0);
surface_free(surf);

surface_set_target(surf)
draw_set_color(c_white)
draw_set_color(c_black)
draw_rectangle(-1,0,15,15,1)
draw_rectangle(15,0,32,15,1)
draw_rectangle(0,15,31,31,1)
draw_set_color(c_white)
surface_reset_target();

tex_brick=background_create_from_surface(surf,0,0,32,32,0,0);
surface_free(surf);

//draw_rectangle(xx,yy,xx+1,yy+1,0)

d3d_set_fog(1,c_black,200,700)
d3d_start();
}

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//MAIN LOOP
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///player handleing
var joy_x=keyboard_check(ord("D"))-keyboard_check(ord("A"));
var joy_y=keyboard_check(ord("S"))-keyboard_check(ord("W"));
var joy_dir=point_direction(0,0,joy_x,joy_y);
var joy_dist=point_distance(0,0,joy_x,joy_y);

if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_escape){game_end();}
if keyboard_check_pressed(ord("c"))and mouse_lock=0 {mouse_lock=1} else {mouse_lock=0}

if mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left) and att=0{ att=-1}

if att=-1 then p_swing+=15
if att=3 then p_swing-=5
if p_swing>=90 then att=3
if p_swing<0 then {p_swing=0; att=0;}

if mouse_lock=0{
p_dir+=((display_get_width()*.5)-(display_mouse_get_x()))/12
display_mouse_set((display_get_width()*.5),display_mouse_get_y())
}

if joy_dist>0{
        //player smooth collide

p_xprev=p_x;
        p_yprev=p_y;
        var xdif=p_x+lengthdir_x(2,joy_dir-90+p_dir);
        var ydif=p_y+lengthdir_y(2,joy_dir-90+p_dir);

p_x=p_xprev;
        p_y=p_yprev;
        var p_hsp=2;
        var p_vsp=2;
        if ds_grid_get(col_level[0],(p_x+16)/32,(p_y)/32,)=1 and xdif>p_x then p_hsp=0
        if ds_grid_get(col_level[0],(p_x-16)/32,(p_y)/32,)=1 and xdif<p_x then p_hsp=0
        if ds_grid_get(col_level[0],(p_x)/32,(p_y-16)/32,)=1 and ydif<p_y then p_vsp=0
        if ds_grid_get(col_level[0],(p_x)/32,(p_y+16)/32,)=1 and ydif>p_y then p_vsp=0

p_x+=lengthdir_x(p_hsp,joy_dir-90+p_dir);
        p_y+=lengthdir_y(p_vsp,joy_dir-90+p_dir);

}

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//MAIN DRAW LOOP
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

d3d_set_projection(p_x,p_y,16,p_x+lengthdir_x(1,p_dir),p_y+lengthdir_y(1,p_dir),16,0,0,1)

d3d_transform_set_identity();
d3d_transform_add_rotation_y(-p_swing)

d3d_transform_add_rotation_z(p_dir+15)
d3d_transform_add_scaling(.5,.5,.5)
d3d_transform_add_translation(p_x+lengthdir_x(-1.2,p_dir+90)+lengthdir_x(9,p_dir),p_y+lengthdir_y(-1.2,p_dir+90)+lengthdir_y(9,p_dir),14)
draw_set_color(c_gray)
d3d_draw_block(-1,-.1,0,1,.1,5,-1,1,1)
draw_set_color(c_red)
d3d_draw_block(-1,-.3,-.3,1,.3,0,-1,1,1)
d3d_draw_block(-.4,-.3,-2,.4,.3,0,-1,1,1)
d3d_transform_set_identity();

draw_set_color(c_dkgray)
d3d_model_draw(mod_level[1],0,0,0,background_get_texture(tex_brick))
draw_set_color(c_green)
d3d_model_draw(mod_level[4],0,0,0,background_get_texture(tex_rough))
draw_set_color(c_brown)
d3d_model_draw(mod_level[3],0,0,0,background_get_texture(tex_rough))
draw_set_color(c_brown)
d3d_model_draw(mod_level[2],0,0,0,background_get_texture(tex_rough))
draw_set_color(c_yellow)
d3d_model_draw(mod_level[0],0,0,0,background_get_texture(tex_brick))
draw_set_color(c_white)

T

Threef

I don't think a single person had sound.
I have sounds. They are surprisingly easy to do using trial and error. I made myself jump sound and sweet death sound.

Yesterday on stream I promised to stream today too, So I'm starting in a few minutes. twitch.tv/threef_games/ Still do to:
- fix game saving
- add menu
- sprites?

GMWolf

aka fel666
Although I had plenty of time, I never felt like going back to work on this. I'm not gonna enter.
Good luck to you all though! The entries look incrradible! Somehow, some even look better than the GMC jam entries!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Jam is over? There's no time at all? How much time do we have yet? Maybe I still can make my sh** playable ;)
We still have about 12 hours. Plenty of time.

My game is pretty much complete. Font, sounds, graphics, physics... and a few levels. I may add more levels if I have time today.

I was under the impression that we had the weekend to finish... aw dang :( I've only had one day to work on my project this week, along with a few coding sessions squeezed in about an hour. I don't have enough time left to do what I wanted to do, so I might just post what I have at the deadline, and then continue to work until I get a functioning version of my game (I really just need the weekend lol).

M

Matthew Brown

September 16 at 23:59 GMT
23:59 GMT
GMT

...Oops. I didn't adjust for timezone. I was already going to be in a rush to finish, and now I have 5 hours less than anticipated... xD

Nallebeorn

Okay, so for various reasons, I didn't have as much time to work on this as I'd wanted, and some things just took more time than expected. So I'm far from having a finished game, all I've got is basically a platformer engine, and it's very buggy. It was fun though, and it has piqued my interest in more low-level games programming. I'm mostly disappointed I didn't have time to play around with audio generation through buffers, but hopefully I'll have a chance to learn from you others instead =).
Here's a gif of it:

And here's a download, but if you've seen the gif you've basically seen all there is to it – except for the "feature" that you can sometimes glitch through walls and out of screen...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q49t2gl7rlkcefm/OSGjam-Default-1.0.0.1.zip?dl=0

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
Uhh finally I've finished my game... It has almost a thousand lines of code, though I suspect that will be tiny compared to some games here. At least it turned out fun to play :)

You can download an .exe to play HERE.
In the spoiler below you can see a .gif of the game.
WARNING: The game contains some flashing images.

I must say that this Jam was a lot of fun, but also not as easy as I though it was going to be.
And - It made me finally finish a game in Game Maker :D
I'm eager to try games made by other participants!

T

Threef

I finished mine also. It took me 3 whole days, but I wasn't in my normal "Game Jam rush". I was wasting a lot of time. I could make it in 24 hours and I had a lot of fun. Generating sounds from raw data and drawing fonts from sprites was something new for me. But I've spent too much time debugging two bugs and was about to end it and submit not finished.

Here you can download it and play: https://threef.itch.io/flappy-souls
Source included for everyone, but don't steal my beautiful sounds!

For next OSJ I would suggest dropping "no variables" rule. The way I (and many more people) did using dictionaries was incredibly easy, and I didn't fell any difference. Just making your own create and step inside one script feels for me enough "hard rule" for it. Plus of course creation of assets from code!

R

rui.rosario

I will be making a survey to participants, after Jam end, in order for everyone to state what they liked and disliked in the current Jam.

Also, @Surgeon_ is giving away free copies of his Mercury Engine to the 1st and 2nd places, and free copies of his Turbo Print Parser to the top 5 entries. Prizes will be claimed via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Could do lots more... but I'll save that for post-Jam. Here's the intro screen, just to show off my cool sprite-font.

And here's an animated GIF of that screen:
About 1.6 MB

Here's a GIF of some gameplay. I'm sure everyone recognizes the type of game:

I had lots of fun with this. More so than the regular Jam, I think. Mainly because there was no pressure to create graphics. Everything was procedural.

M

Matthew Brown

Guess I need to be finishing up and getting the game submitted soon if I'm going to hit the deadline... I'm not going to get as much content as I wanted, but oh well I guess. xD

G

Galladhan

Okay, it's more a mess than a game, but i loved the idea of this jam and wanted to take part in some way (even if it was kinda a mission impossible for my skills, especially considering i had little time this week).
I'm happy cause until 2 weeks ago i had never used a buffer, and i didn't think i would have been able to do something (i started with GM one year and something ago and this is my first "game"). Learned so much! :) Here's a little gif:
shootin_star.gif

If somebody is interested, i will post the code.

EDIT: For the procedural generation i started from the Smooth Noise Generator by @Huder. It's on the MP for free! (thank you for letting me use it, mate! ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s09erln3mt44c9m/Shooting_Star.exe?dl=0

(vk_right to shoot, esc to go back to the menu screen / end the game -> or it breaks lol)

Last edited:
M

Matthew Brown

Okay newbie question when the original post says to submit entries by PM does that mean the start a conversation button or is there something else I"m missing xD

M

Matthew Brown

Well, I wanted 52 events that would each trigger once, that or 200+ that would be randomly selected, instead of the 16 events it cycles back through randomly that I ended up with. Also wanted a better UI. Just ran out of time in the end though.

But here it is, my heavily Reigns-inspired space city game.

R

rui.rosario

Ok, so according the the GMT Clock the Jam has ended 35 minutes ago. I will accept late submissions for the next hour, but any PM after that will probably not be considered

Well, I didn't have enough time to complete this, as I have been way too busy with college the past week. Only had time available on Thursday and the last couple hours of today.
Anyways, I managed to get the base of the game done, but I want to keep working on this to submit an actual game at a later time :p Would most likely be done after the weekend.
Well, enough of my talk, I see some great entries, looking forward to look at them all!

Shadowspear1's One-Script Tower Defense Game

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Well, technically 3 hours past the allocated time, but hopefully it won't be too much of a trouble. ^^'
(after all, it's less than 2% of total Jam time...)

Either way, if you people want to check my entry, it is here.

It didn't quite turned out as I planned, but I'm still glad to participate. I played around with a bit of new stuff, too. ^^

Oh, and a screenie:

R

rui.rosario

Ok, I'll start gathering the submitted scripts into a single Dropbox folder for everyone to access, officially closing the submission time for the Jam! (I already gave a lot of extra time for participants, but you may still send your script, I'll just add to it, before posting it, a notice stating it was submitted out of time and so should be penalized, if even accounted for, when voting).

A note for participants: I know some of you have provided binaries (and even HTML5 versions) of the games, but in order to ensure the rules were followed I will be recompiling all games from the source myself, and the recompiled versions should be the ones used for voting!

I will update the first post with the Script Listing once it's ready, as well as making a new post here to trigger notifications. The validation time will be starting after I post the listing and everyone is free to review the other participant's scripts and debate whether or not they did something "illegal" regarding the Jam rules (or shady grey areas of the rules).

On a personal note: I loved the way people reacted to this Jam and how many people actually submitted games, considering it was the first Jam. If moderators and participants agree, I will definitely host the Jam again, probably with revisions after gathering feedback from this version.

I wish all of the participants the best luck and I can't wait to check out everyone's entries!! :)

PS: I also apologize for not being a very active host or maybe not the best host there is, and also not participating, but I had to change timezones due to work and work itself got a little tighter than expected so I couldn't dedicate as much time as I wanted. Also, you can consider Pushy as my entry, since it was technically done in an afternoon of moderate work :p

trg601

I was not able to participate in the competition, because I didn't end up having any time... Do you think you will host this again in the future?

And all the entries look amazing, you guys really know how to work around an obstacle!

R

rui.rosario

I was not able to participate in the competition, do you think you will host this again in the future?
On a personal note: I loved the way people reacted to this Jam and how many people actually submitted games, considering it was the first Jam. If moderators and participants agree, I will definitely host the Jam again, probably with revisions after gathering feedback from this version.
:p

Wait I have a question, you said you'll be recompiling the games yourself... There might be a problem :rolleyes:
I used custom room dimensions 800x608, and a room speed of 60, I'm assuming those aren't going to be the same when you recompile it.
Could I make a quick update to my script (to automatically set the room variables at the start of the game) to account for this?

R

rui.rosario

I'm assuming those aren't going to be the same when you recompile it.
You're correct in that assumption.

Could I make a quick update to my script (to automatically set the room variables at the start of the game) to account for this?
Since I haven't yet published the list and I just started now the recompilation process (and your name is one of the last ones), I'm going to allow it. However, you should have read the first post clearly, so consider this a one-time bonus:

After the validation period ends, an executable will be made available per script with just one room with one instance in it and the script in the instance's Draw Event (no kind of configuration will be performed, e.g. changing room size. This means Room Setting will be the complete GM defaults);

I'm actually having trouble figuring out how to do it correctly... If I change the room size and use window_set_size(800, 608), the window gets changed to the correct dimensions, but the game is super burry. I have interpolation set to off already, I don't know what to do to fix it. Maybe I can just change the room_speed and let the dimensions be the default

R

rui.rosario

I'm actually having trouble figuring out how to do it correctly... If I change the room size and use window_set_size(800, 608), the window gets changed to the correct dimensions, but the game is super burry. I have interpolation set to off already, I don't know what to do to fix it. Maybe I can just change the room_speed and let the dimensions be the default
Hint: resize the application surface or enable views for the size you want, disabling the application_surface (look at the Pushy example for the second version).

Also, @Galladhan, your game won't compile because you use an nonexistent function called buffer_exists. In case you missed it:
NOTE: I will be compiling the game with GM:S version 1.4.1757, so make sure your script works in this version!

resize the application surface
Ah, I see. The window dimensions get changed but the dimensions of the application surface stay the same. Good to know!
However, I have moved some things around and still no luck. I resize the game window, and then the application_surface to 800x608. Then I exit the script for that frame to allow the changes to take place. When the next frame loads the game draws things perfectly fine, but any sprites that I have created are super blurry. I can't figure out how to fix it :/

R

rui.rosario

Ah, I see. The window dimensions get changed but the dimensions of the application surface stay the same. Good to know!
However, I have moved some things around and still no luck. I resize the game window, and then the application_surface to 800x608. Then I exit the script for that frame to allow the changes to take place. When the next frame loads the game draws things perfectly fine, but any sprites that I have created are super blurry. I can't figure out how to fix it :/
Well, I can't give you much more help / time, there are three entries to recompile before yours (recompiling doesn't take that long) so either cope with just changing the room_speed or do it in the next minutes :p

(adding a bit of pressure to see if the solutions pops up :p)

Well I figured out a solution but I'm not sure how to do it in code.
In Global Game Settings I had to uncheck the "Interpolate colors between pixels" box, although I thought that's what
Code:
texture_set_interpolation(false);
was supposed to do. Is there a way to deactivate this feature with code? I'm struggling here haha I really am trying

EDIT: Nvm, you have to set that to true while also disabling the application surface. The function's description makes it sound like it does the opposite. Well in any case it's fixed! Here's the new script .txt file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzW2J1-U0K2JNTA4WnNoU0dwVms

EDIT2: Nope, still not fixed. It's like it solely depends on the checkbox, and doesn't listen to the function trying to overwrite it. Idk how to fix it, so I'll just leave the room settings as default. I updated the script .txt file once more, same link as above: :oops:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzW2J1-U0K2JNTA4WnNoU0dwVms

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

I really can't help you there, it should be that function (to the best of my knowledge). Also, one entry left :p