Windows OSG Asteroids

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

OSG Asteroids is a game I made in 16 hours for the OSG Jam (here). "OSG" stands for "One Script Game", and the whole game is a single script of about 1160 lines of code that is dropped into the Draw event of an object. Nothing more! All graphic and sounds are created as part of the script, and ONLY local scope variables and enums were permitted. This led to some interesting "hacks"...

At the moment I'm only posting the game here for you to play, but when the Jam finishes I'll be updating this with the source code too, so that you can all laugh (or cry) at my terrible code!

Anyway, the game features:

Gamepad/Keyboard Control
Full menu screen, game over screen, and transition states
Progressive gameplay levels
Perpetuated high score from one run to the next

I recommend ALT+ENTER to fullscreen it and play with a gamepad.

Thanks for playing!

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.png

Last edited:
R

Rekka

Looks awesome!! I've clicked the link,I see no playable demo?

R

rui.rosario

Looks awesome!! I've clicked the link,I see no playable demo?
That's actually my bad :p Check back in a few minutes, I'll place @Nocturne's entry there in a bit.

EDIT: Already there, on the bottom of the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rui.rosario

Is it? I only get an enlargement of this pics...maybe something I'm doing wrong?
Download it here

I recommend ALT+F4 to fullscreen it and play with a gamepad.
Don't you mean Alt + Enter? Since Alt + F4 should close it :p

Also, is the background supposed to be black? Every time I tried it it was with the default gray I believe.

R

Rekka

Thanks rui.
Download it here

Don't you mean Alt + Enter? Since Alt + F4 should close it :p

Also, is the background supposed to be black? Every time I tried it it was with the default gray I believe.
I can also confirm.

Love the color options though. I have however noticed that the sounds,particularly the thrust sfx persists during impact/game over.
Overall awesome game,can't wait to see the source :p

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Oooops! I was tired and rush-posted this topic, which meant I forgot the download link. :) I've added it into the OP now. @Rekka, you are right about the sound, and the background being wrong. Very minor bugs that I've fixed and uploaded to GJ (I've also sent a version to @rui.rosario ).

Sabnock

WOW, great achievement. i would love to pick at the source code for this :D

I really can't comment as it's way better than anything i have achieved so far and my version of asteroids took me 2 weeks of evenings and a whole Saturday LOL. i would say that the ship and bullets seem a little sluggish and could do with feeling more fluid and responsive. bullet fire would be much better, for me, if they were quicker and went further.

i would love to learn the effects you are using and it seems i have a lot to learn. Great job

Andy

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
i would love to learn the effects you are using and it seems i have a lot to learn. Great job
The source code will be available after the Jam is finished and I'm also writing a tech blog for YYG about how I made the game... it's more about my reasons for doing things a certain way, but hopefully along with the source it'll be an interesting read!

Oh, and thanks for playing! I agree 100% that the game would benefit from more nimble ship and bullets, and it also needs an enemy AI ship to attack you. Things for me to polish up after the Jam is over and I have some extra time again!

A

Acr515

Wow, pretty neat! Sounds like a cool challenge to attempt too.

J

jackhigh24

i can wait to see how you handled this, i was thinking about having ago at the osg, but was beyond my level to make anything any good, not sure if il ever be able to play your game Noc, but il be learning from the source even if i cant play it

jazzzar

I played it and i'm really impressed by it as an OSG, i guess we knoe who the winner already is, good job

Roa

I played it and i'm really impressed by it as an OSG, i guess we knoe who the winner already is, good job
BS... I'll have to serve his ass on a silver platter for sure now. It's on. :lemmad:
Prepare Noc. Be wary!

Last edited:
H

Heat4Life

BS... I'll have to serve his ass on a silver platter for sure now. It's on. :lemmad:
Prepare Noc. Be wary!
Oh dear... NOCTURNE VERSUS ROA ON THE GMC ONE SCRIPT JAM!!!!

*jam ended*
*nocturne didn't win*
*roa didn't win*

*Mike wons*