1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Android os_request_permission issue [solved]

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by silentworks, Nov 2, 2019.

1. silentworks

silentworks Member

I am trying to request a permission at runtime using

Code:
    os_request_permission("android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE");
    but the requester does not appear. Can somebody please confirm this?

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

The documentation suggests that WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE can be requested via Game Options instead, so perhaps it does not appear if you've asked for it there?

3. silentworks

silentworks Member

Thanks.

I also tried to check the permission checkboxes in the Game Options, however I still need to request the permission at runtime (just before I need to access the external storage) so I need to use the os_request_permission function.
    From API 23 (I am targeting 29) permissions should be granted at runtime instead of installtime, so I just cannot use the Game Options for this.

I've made more investigation and found the os_check_permission function returns -1 so the following condition will never will be true as os_permission_denied constant is 0:

Code:
    if os_check_permission("android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE") == os_permission_denied

Instead I am using:

Code:
    if os_check_permission("android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE") != os_permission_granted
    Now the requester seems to be fine.

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Please file a bug report about this.