• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Options menu creation?

S

Stratos.la

As i have it i have made a whole room to be my options menu (sound reset etc) is there a better way to have it as an object or something so i can make it appear anywhere? right now for instance in my combat room if the player wants to go to the settings i have to change rooms. but on most games, i see it open inside that room and be fully functional. in my setting room, i have controllers and stuff plus the sprites and objects. how can i make that whole room be "portable"??

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Rather than placing instances in a room, you can create instances via instance_create*.
Placing sprites on an asset layer and adding a background layer can be replaced by draw_sprite.

Additionally, you may want to pause whatever is going on in the game while the menu is open - a global variable that's toggled depending on whether the menu is visible or not as well as a couple of if (global.paused) should help with that.

obscene

Your menu should be a single instance with data structures and/or arrays to handle the content and a single draw event to put everything on screen. Another room is totally unnecessary. Start simple and build it up.