• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Option to turn off surveys?

hippyman

I'm getting sick of these random popup surveys that GM:S 2 keeps giving me. I can't find any option to shut it off and nothing is more annoying than a random popup while I'm working on something. Put the surveys in the launcher and let people do them if they want. Don't just jam them in our faces. I get that this is a beta and feedback is essential but this is not that the way to get it in my opinion. :mad:

Enough of my angry rant...... my question is in the title. Is there an option to turn off these surveys? I'm hoping that I just missed it while searching through the preferences.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I would request that you strongly consider just putting up with them for the beta period and taking a few moments to fill them out honestly (although calmly! If they've annoyed you it may not be a good idea... :p). The information that they provide is incredibly valuable and it's essentially a direct line to YYg to tell them what they are doing right / wrong in the product. It's only a few seconds of your time and all feedback given is used to improve the product, so it is in your interest to do it.

*End Of Public Service Announcement*

:)

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The surveys are part of the beta - we need the feedback it provides, without it we can't judge how well a component of the IDE is doing. Please take time to fill in - or at least tick the rating, so we know how well received an item is.

We do spend time going through all the responses - much more so than here. So if you want your voice heard, this is the way to do it.

Hyomoto

I've only gotten the one :( I accidentally ignored it and was worried I screwed it up, then I realized there is a notification in the upper right. I can see for the full release this being opt-in, but for now bring them on. On a side-note, the box you fill in does not word wrap. I'm guessing it does on your end, but something to note.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I would request that you strongly consider just putting up with them for the beta period and taking a few moments to fill them out honestly (although calmly! If they've annoyed you it may not be a good idea... :p). The information that they provide is incredibly valuable and it's essentially a direct line to YYg to tell them what they are doing right / wrong in the product. It's only a few seconds of your time and all feedback given is used to improve the product, so it is in your interest to do it.

The surveys are part of the beta - we need the feedback it provides, without it we can't judge how well a component of the IDE is doing. Please take time to fill in - or at least tick the rating, so we know how well received an item is.

We do spend time going through all the responses - much more so than here. So if you want your voice heard, this is the way to do it.
I've been taking some time off to study GMS 2 changes, and these surveys are driving me nuts as well. For quite a number of them, I just don't know what to say. I'm torn between making up crap to silence the messages or just putting them off until later, and out of simple respect I chose to stay shut.

It keeps asking questions about stuff we haven't used, that's why it's annoying. It's like surveying a panel of men or prepubescent girls to rate sanitary napkins. And given how you've turned on telemetrics in the IDE, it's reasonable to expect that you ask questions we can answer.

Don't ask us questions about the sound editor until we've actively used it, or questions about the sprite editor if we've only been importing old sprites.

It would be nice to have an N/A option, or "haven't used yet" when you're doing the ones online. I can't fill out the image editor one because I've only used half the stuff, and I don't want to answer when I have no feedback to give in that category. It's going to screw with your data if I write "okay" for every one I didn't use at all. :p

N

NPT

I'm torn between making up crap to silence the messages
Please, no making up crap, it gives my brain chemical imbalances and puts me in a nasty mood.

All kidding aside, the webpage survey is poorly designed and forces us to make crap up if we are to complete it.

For example Question 6 which has a whole bunch of statements then asks us to select:
  • Strongly Agree
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly Disagree
There is no Neutral or Not Important to me selection, and since all questions are mandatory I must either not submit the survery or provide incorrect made up crap.

The question about "importing workflow" demonstrates this. I have never done this and most people can't do it because it's a paid only feature. So people must make up either an agree or disagree.

They really needed to put more thought into this as they're going to have a bunch of bad data or skewed data that does not represent the users.

Last edited by a moderator:

hippyman

Again I really do understand the importance of them and from now on I'll try my best to not let my "hot-headedness" kick in when they randomly pop-up and actually give some helpful feedback. But that leads me to at least this request...

And given how you've turned on telemetrics in the IDE, it's reasonable to expect that you ask questions we can answer.

Don't ask us questions about the sound editor until we've actively used it, or questions about the sprite editor if we've only been importing old sprites.
It would be nice to have surveys that are actually relevant to what is going on in the editor rather than just some random question. Please look into making the system a little smarter in that aspect.

It would be nice to have an N/A option, or "haven't used yet" when you're doing the ones online. I can't fill out the image editor one because I've only used half the stuff, and I don't want to answer when I have no feedback to give in that category. It's going to screw with your data if I write "okay" for every one I didn't use at all. :p
If it would take too long to make some "sophisticated survey robot", you could at least do something like this. Add an option that will let you bring back the question later when you can give real feedback.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I don't have it up here... but there IS a "not applicable" option on the dialog that you can select

I meant when you click send and take more. You can go online to take surveys on individual topics, but there's so many questions, I can't answer every single one of them, as I'm focused on making a project, not testing every single aspect of the editor. Those individual questions should have a "not applicable" option so you can still answer the rest of them without messing up the data.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well, I'll remind you that this is still a beta, and as such we want feedback on it. Yes, you can now make projects, but it IS still a beta,

Well, I'll remind you that this is still a beta, and as such we want feedback on it. Yes, you can now make projects, but it IS still a beta,
Lol, I wasn't complaining that it was hard to make a project. I know it's a beta. I meant that you'll get better data from me if I can just answer N/A to things I haven't used on the online surveys. :p But if it doesn't change that's fine. I just won't fill out the surveys online.