• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Optimising Primitives

G

Greg5000

Okay so I've been making my own isometric engine which uses textured primitives to draw blocks and then surfaces to draw lighting on both horizontal and vertical surfaces and it looks pretty cool.

My problem now is that when I draw more than about 10 blocks on screen at any one time my FPS plummets and the debug bar shows about 100 texture swaps.. I realise that drawing primitives breaks the batch, but has anyone found a way to get past this? Primitives are allowing me to achieve some nice simple effects I couldn't otherwise do but I seem to be getting bogged down by the draw pipeline..

Would appreciate any advice. Oh and by the way I'm using a patent object to draw all blocks.

G

Greg5000

That's what I thought, they're pretty mind boggling though and I guess I'm looking for confirmation these would work before I invest time learning about them.. I'll post a screenshot later, out and about at the mo