Graphics Opinion wanted - release app then add feature in update?

W

Wraithious

Or the other way around?
I'm making a dual image graphics manipulation app that is now 99% complete, but one of the effects you can use is to trapezoid an image in each of 4 different directions, and I'm wondering how many would want a user adjustable range input? Example: if you only want to trapezoid the top half of the image only (or right, down or left section of the image) you could pick between 100% (complete image) down to 1% (last 1% of pixel rows in direction selected) trapezoid effect.

So my question is, should I release the game tonight and make that an update to add later, or should I spend the next 17 hours adding it in and getting it to work and then release it? haha but yea, I'm weighing the pros and cons, if I release it now it could make it visible now and you know the saying, "a penny a day"! But on the other side if released now it won't have the full potential until the update. What would you do?

here's a link to the project homepage I'm setting up - http://roadhammergaming.blogspot.com/p/mergery.html

P

ParodyKnaveBob

I'm sorry, my reply verges on being completely off-topic since I don't really have advice. (A couple years ago, I was hours from releasing a Marketplace asset. I had planned to wait until I had fully documented demos, but it dawned on me, I could release as-is with an undocumented demo, and just write up a quick FAQ of all the functions and so forth. See, I expected it'd take much longer than 17 hours to document the demo (and preferably create multiple demos for that matter). Thus, I don't know, if you're sure it'd only take a day, then ~shrug~ maybe maybe not. Sorry, like I said, no real advice. (And don't bother looking for any MP asset from me. Things happened. I no longer have that data. Moving on.))

Meanwhile, the real reason I'm posting: I enjoy language -- studying it, playing with it, etc. I've never heard of any expression that starts "A penny a day..." and searching online's leaving me empty-handed. Tell me, what expression have I missed? $:^ }

Regards,
Bob $E^ J

D

Dantevus

Greetings,

My personal feeling would be to complete and then release. As a user I would like to be able to believe that everything I'm getting day 1 is what I would expect.

However, this all comes down to whether or not you feel it is an essential feature, or a bonus. That I cannot say. If it is an essential feature, the above applies. If it is a bonus, I would consider packaging it with other bonuses at a later date once sales have lulled. It will renew interest in the product while showing your customers that you care enough to constantly improve for their benefit.

W

Wraithious

Thanks for the advise everyone, I'm going to wait and add that extra feature. you guys are right why rush it and not give it my all up front and from the start!

Tell me, what expression have I missed? $:^ }
Theres a riddle that goes "Would you rather have $1,000,000 dollars right now, or a penny doubled each day for 1 month?" If you do the math a penny a day, doubled every day, for 31 days is more than a million bucks!

D

Dantevus

Theres a riddle that goes "Would you rather have $1,000,000 dollars right now, or a penny doubled each day for 1 month?" If you do the math a penny a day, doubled every day, for 31 days is more than a million bucks!
Off topic I know, but I actually just yesterday heard for the first time "Coming back like a bad penny". Upon research, it is apparently related to people counterfeiting pennies en masse back when they used to be more valuable. It was such a strange phrase to me. Haha.