• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion on Pixelart Lab

Jochum

Hi everyone,

What do you guys think of this laboratory I've created.
It would be great to get some extra tips / criticism.

Thanks in advance!

Ladi_Pix3l

Sexy (whoops did I say that out loud) I meant it's pretty nice. I'm pretty bad at pixel art myself, just look at my avatar :confused:
My only suggestion is to change some of the black outline. It can be a bet overpowering in my opinion. (maybe...I know nothing)

NightFrost

Hopefully the door opens away from the screen so it doesn't pull the power cord off the socket... The 50/50 shading on the three things in the center and on the bottles suggests a sharp angle which probably is not the intention, and doesn't conform to the light source anyway, which is mostly from above. I'd just shade near the edges, away from the light.

Jochum

Sexy (whoops did I say that out loud) I meant it's pretty nice. I'm pretty bad at pixel art myself, just look at my avatar :confused:
My only suggestion is to change some of the black outline. It can be a bet overpowering in my opinion. (maybe...I know nothing)
Thank you!

Jochum

Hopefully the door opens away from the screen so it doesn't pull the power cord off the socket... The 50/50 shading on the three things in the center and on the bottles suggests a sharp angle which probably is not the intention, and doesn't conform to the light source anyway, which is mostly from above. I'd just shade near the edges, away from the light.
Thank you for the points! I'll take a look into it.

RangerX

Can we get the unscaled image? Right now either because of the screenshot being resized or the game displayed at a uneven scale, there's alot of graphical deformation going on that prevents me from judging your image right.

Ladi_Pix3l

Can we get the unscaled image? Right now either because of the screenshot being resized or the game displayed at a uneven scale, there's alot of graphical deformation going on that prevents me from judging your image right.
Oh that's what happening. . .I thought it was just me

Morendral

Looks neat so far, I'm gonna jump on the door bandwagon. The panels on it are too big up top and missing below. Also, the spacing on them is off.

Sorry to pick on it but it completely draws my attention away from the other things going on.

Niels

-You mix black outlined art with non-outlined art which makes it look a bit non-cohesive
-also the shading on the blue and green fluid holders make no sense (their shadow is mirrored which indicates the huge white box is a light source, but it also has it's own shade).

Other than that it's a cool scene!
Maybe add some foreground objects to the scene?

Last edited:

Khao

It's late, I can't sleep and I got nothing to do. Let's do things!

There's quite a few things about this that could be done better, I think. Shading is mostly being done with straight lines, which doesn't convey shape properly, and colors are completely flat, having no variation in terms of hue or saturation, making the picture a bit dull.

Fooooor example, I took the liberty of recreating your green bottle as closely as I could (since there's some distortion in your image, leaving pixel sizes pretty inconsistent). I thought it'd be a pretty good way to show what I'm talking about.

The general shape works fine, as I could actually recognize it as a bottle, but there's a couple of things I'd actually do differently before moving into the cool stuff.

Boom. I cut a pixel from the bottom. Jumping straight from a horizontal line to two vertical pixels is a bit harsh, and makes the bottle feel as if it wasn't round. The bottom part appears as if is square, but since other pixels are sticking out of it, it gives off the feeling that it's not a squared bottle, which just feels inconsistent. Smoothing out the curve with a single pixel instead of two helps making the shape a bit clearer. I also added a bit of green to the top. Generally, adding a detail to the shape of an object using nothing but the outline makes it a bit... Invisible. It can be useful sometimes, like, if you want an objet to feel pointy instead of smooth, you can adjust the outline with a single pixel where it's appropriate. But when it's something as "important" as the entire lip of a bottle, it might be better to make it stick out a bit more.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo color.

Here's the thing. The colors you put on your bottle?

They're all... green. Like super green green. The same green. This might sound a bit weird, but green things are not always green all the time. They can be different when the light hits them in different places, so to have the exact same green all over makes the image feel monochromatic. Here's a quick fix.

Yes, all the colors I used are also "green". But they vary a bit too. The darker shade has a lower saturation, and the hue is pushed towards blue. The highlight instead, has a higher saturation, and it's pushed towards yellow, in the exact opposite direction. This should hopefully make it a bit more interesting to look at, and you should always, always do this with your color palettes, eve if you're sure that you want an object to be a super specific color. And yes, even if your object is completely gray, you should be adding some color when it's on different lighting conditions.

About shading. Earlier, I said something about shape. How the shadows didn't really convey shape.

These may be 2D images, but you still gotta think of them as 3D objects. If the object is supposed to be round, the shadows should have the same shape too. There's a billion different ways to do this correctly (and there's a billion ways to do it better than my edit above, it's pretty basic and doesn't really play with reflections or anything.) but always make sure you think on how the light actually affects the object you want to make. Or heck, maybe the object isn't round in that direction, you gotta make sure your shadows imply that shape.

Just that alone leads can be a big improvement. You can also have a bit of fun with some extra details, or a few extra colors (but never too many!). Add a bit of noise to the surface of the objects, just be creative!

Play with colors. Make sure your shadows convey shape and direction. Also, make sure to recycle colors where possible. The best way to make sure two objects feel like part of the same image is giving them both the same color. For example, the darkest shade of both the green and the blue bottle can easily be the same color if you use your palette smartly, and the image will feel more unified as a result.

That's all I got to give at the moment, but I hope it's of help, and I hope you continue to improve in the future!

Last edited: