• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Opera GX Questions

Coded Games

Been playing around with the Opera GX export and gotta say I'm mildly impressed with its performance. But I ran into a few things:

1. Do mouse wheel functions/events just not work? (Mine are not)
  2. Is the Opera GX export considered a browser? Does it use browser_width and browser_height?
  3. Can you make your games higher resolution? Using browser_width and browser_height make my game quite low resolution.
  4. Is there any way to edit the HTML so that it isn't locked to 1437 by 808 pixels? I would much more prefer my game to take up the entire available browser window.
  5. Can we get rid of the scroll bar?
  6. Is there some way for the game to disable the typing tick sound effect Opera GX has for some reason?

Also @Nocturne we need an Opera GX platform tag thingy.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

1. I don't believe so, probably due to it technically being a browser, other keys like control, shift and probably the function keys don't work either. Due to being browser hotkeys.

2. I'm not sure it does, as it has some sort of scaling built in to the browser, I didn't have to create any special scaling code for TRF.

3. I used the same resolution/scaling code as Windows and it works fine.

4. You can press F11 to full screen the game I believe, in my case it will go full 1080p.

5. Full screen will remove the scrollbar.

Coded Games

Even when fullscreen I'm seeing the scroll bar and my game is definitely still at 1437 x 808 but scaled up to full screen (which looks bad).

O.Stogden

Hmmm that's odd.

Do you have any scaling code in your game? Maybe mine just happened to be the correct way for Opera to work with it...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Even when fullscreen I'm seeing the scroll bar and my game is definitely still at 1437 x 808 but scaled up to full screen (which looks bad).
Is this on test or after upload? On test, it's expected as there is the console below, but on upload it shouldn't be (it's not for any of my games, most of which adapt to the window size perfectly without extra code).

Coded Games

Yes my game scales to any resolution just fine normally in any of the other OSes and HTML5. 1080p, 1440p, 4k whatever. And the game uses a lot of vector things so high resolutions look a lot better.

Edit @Nocturne this is all with just testing. Have not done any uploading yet.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Edit @Nocturne this is all with just testing. Have not done any uploading yet.
Then the scrollbar is necessary and you can't do anything about it. On upload it will be fine though... certainly, all my games look okay and have no scrollbar.

O.Stogden

When you upload your game to Opera, it'll launch in a separate browser window with no tabs/scrollbar, it's just the game inside the window. So you should try running with that and seeing how it performs, as you're the only one that will see the test.

Coded Games

Ok update and discovered things.

On Opera GX, display_get_width and browser_width suck. Don't use them. Instead, just hard code window size using window_set_width to whatever you want then your game looks good.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

I tend to use display_get_gui_* for a lot of my UI and scaling placement, I'm presuming that works as well, given that my game isn't horribly screwed up.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Short question: How to monetize games for opera GX?
At the moment you can't. I would assume (BUT THIS IS MY OWN ASSUMPTION AND PURE SPECULATION) that in the future we will be able to use Opera Ads, as it would be the most obvious thing for them to do, especially how they are trying to tie everything Opera into the GameMaker ecosystem.

Hello,
In the platform settings -> Opera GX has as a prerequisite the C:/sources/emscripten/
do we need to download and install from https://emscripten.org ?
Is there a howto? Because i either found the old prerequisites howto on the yoyogames webpage or it has not been updated yet with this option?

Thank you.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hello,
In the platform settings -> Opera GX has as a prerequisite the C:/sources/emscripten/
do we need to download and install from https://emscripten.org ?
Is there a howto? Because i either found the old prerequisites howto on the yoyogames webpage or it has not been updated yet with this option?

Thank you.
We have removed this preference in the current Beta as we no longer require the emscripten SDK to be installed. You can ignore this setting.

Russell

gdkid

Wonder if anyone experience this

I updated GMS to the latest version and tried to test some projects on OperaGX.

However, the game keeps crashing on OperaGX (while it's running properly on other platforms like Windows or Android)

Here's what the console shows
GML:
       GML:   

* YoYo Games Emscripten Runner V2.0 *
CommandLine: -game game.unx
ExeName= 082fdef8
MemoryManager allocated: 27602
GAMEPAD: Initialising SDL support
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 4
GAMEPAD: Setting up initial connections
GAMEPAD: Number of detected joysticks/controllers: 0
OpenGL: version string OpenGL ES 3.0 (WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium))
OpenGL: vendor string WebKit
OpenGL GLSL: version string OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (WebGL GLSL ES 3.00 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0 Chromium))
Extensions:
EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 EXT_float_blend EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_texture_norm16 KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context WEBGL_multi_draw GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb GL_WEBGL_debug_renderer_info GL_WEBGL_debug_shaders GL_WEBGL_lose_context GL_WEBGL_multi_draw
Anisotropic filtering supported, max aniso 16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
finished(2)!!
Texture #1 1,1
Texture #2 1,1
finished(2)!!
Collision Event time(microsecs)=0
Been trying everything lately, but I can't make my game run on Opera GX :(

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Wonder if anyone experience this

I updated GMS to the latest version and tried to test some projects on OperaGX.

However, the game keeps crashing on OperaGX (while it's running properly on other platforms like Windows or Android)

Here's what the console shows
GML:
       GML:  

* YoYo Games Emscripten Runner V2.0 *
CommandLine: -game game.unx
ExeName= 082fdef8
MemoryManager allocated: 27602
GAMEPAD: Initialising SDL support
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 4
GAMEPAD: Setting up initial connections
GAMEPAD: Number of detected joysticks/controllers: 0
OpenGL: version string OpenGL ES 3.0 (WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium))
OpenGL: vendor string WebKit
OpenGL GLSL: version string OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (WebGL GLSL ES 3.00 (OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0 Chromium))
Extensions:
EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 EXT_float_blend EXT_texture_compression_rgtc EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_texture_norm16 KHR_parallel_shader_compile OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context WEBGL_multi_draw GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2 GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc GL_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc_srgb GL_WEBGL_debug_renderer_info GL_WEBGL_debug_shaders GL_WEBGL_lose_context GL_WEBGL_multi_draw
Anisotropic filtering supported, max aniso 16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
Texture #1 16,16
Texture #2 16,16
finished(2)!!
Texture #1 1,1
Texture #2 1,1
finished(2)!!
Collision Event time(microsecs)=0
Been trying everything lately, but I can't make my game run on Opera GX :(
Please file a bug and attach the project, we will take a look and work out what is happening.

Russell

gdkid

Please file a bug and attach the project, we will take a look and work out what is happening.

Russell
Hi Russel

Thanks for your reply, I filed a bug report yesterday

The ticket number is: 189604

Hope to hear from you soon, I want to join the Community Showcase Competition on Opera GX