(opensource) Zerb Games Level Edit!

Zerb Games

Zerb Games Level Edit!

Hey guys, I know the title says opensource, but it's not yet because I need your guys input still. Basically I am making a level editor, and I want to make it the best, and easiest tool to use. My ultimate goal is to release it on my website for free, and the marketplace for 0.99$ in case some people want to buy it.

Gifs:
upload_2016-9-28_21-10-52.png
http://i.imgur.com/ImNmFVw.mp4

First Version:

PLEASE IF YOU CAN CAPTURE SOME GIFS FOR ME! MY COMPUTER IS HORRIBLE, NOT THE LEVEL EDITOR... Thanks guys!

Things to come, but I'm still working on them:
-Level Saving, and loading.
-Online Level Sharing.
-Steam support.
-Room size adjustments
-Ease to make it look better

However, I still encourage you to add inputs on these things I haven't added yet!

Notable Features/Description:
-Circle drawing.
-Easy line drawing.
-Screen rotation.
-Easily customizable categories of items.
-All GUI is drawn with scripts, no sprites, other than for the icons. This includes rounded boxes, and drop shadows
-User friendly and intuitive.
-Fun overall.
-All draw custom functions use x, y, width, and height like HTML which makes it easier to port a gui from Gimp, Photoshop, and other drawing softwares. This can also be easier on the brain.
-Has built in "button," functions.
-All drawn in one object. No need for multiple objects that are unreliable.
-Ease functions.

This is a simple yet powerful engine for making levels for GM games. This can either be player made levels, or a level editor for the developers. Zerb Games level edit comes with many tools that help new, and inspiring game designers. This pack can be used for level editing, and GUI in general.
[/]

Constructive criticism is always, always welcome, in fact I'd rather have a lot of really good input on reasons why it kinda sucks, then complete praise. In game development at least this is the way to go. However, please leave a little positivity, I don't want this thread to be soul crushing... Thanks guys!

Controls:
WASD to Move
LMB to Place Blocks
MMB to Pan View
RMB to Delete Blocks
Left and Right Arrow Keys To Rotate
Hold Shift Then Click a Location, Keep Holding Shift Then Click Another Location to Make a Line.
Q and E to Switch Tabs
R to Restart
Space to Expand Information

Download: https://goo.gl/khPhZ0 (C) Zerb Games, 2016.

Last edited:

KurtBlissZ

This looks good so far.

-select and move objects
-cut, copy, and paste objects and or groups of objects
-set rotation, scale, alpha, and color for objects
(should be easy to input more properties for objects or certain objects as well)
-undo / redo feature
-add different items types that you can place in a level, objects, tiles, tiles with generated floor ob
-tiles
-backgrounds
-auto tiling
-resizable window and zoom in and out
-minimap
-backups

Just going all out on features, sure you would want to focus on the things to make your level editor useable first like saving and loading, and loading into a game.

Edit: One thing that I always do in all my games is that I'll use tiles and then I will scale invisible wall objects for collisions on top of the wall tiles. This helps out performance a lot, so if there was an automatic process to do that, that would be sweet.

Last edited:

Zerb Games

This looks good so far.

-select and move objects
-cut, copy, and paste objects and or groups of objects
-set rotation, scale, alpha, and color for objects
(should be easy to input more properties for objects or certain objects as well)
-undo / redo feature
-add different items types that you can place in a level, objects, tiles, tiles with generated floor ob
-tiles
-backgrounds
-auto tiling
-resizable window and zoom in and out
-minimap
-backups

Just going all out on features, sure you would want to focus on the things to make your level editor useable first like saving and loading, and loading into a game.

Edit: One thing that I always do in all my games is that I'll use tiles and then I will scale invisible wall objects for collisions on top of the wall tiles. This helps out performance a lot, so if there was an automatic process to do that, that would be sweet.
A little more than half of the features you suggested I am planning on adding, just not for the opensource version. Your input was great, and very appreciated. I will be looking into the features on this list that I did not already have planned!