• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Opening a game on a networked computer

Erayd

I am attempting to work on a game on my desktop using my laptop by way of opening the game file up over a home grouped link. I can run the game, but it seems to be very slow to start and almost all of my sprites haven't loaded. Is there a reason for this? I notice because the sprites aren't even loading in my game even though they did when I opened the file up on the desktop itself. When looking in the sprite category on the right, some of the sprites have little icons, most don't, double clicking them loads the sprite in. What's going on? Is doing this kind of thing not possible yet?

EDIT:
I've figured out my first issue, the computer with the files wasn't giving me the right set of permissions to write or read all of the files. However, almost every time I run my mouse over the run button, the below window pops up. No matter my choice it just keeps popping up over and over again, pressing run starts a build that won't finish until I make a choice but still says its building. Then after a choice is made it'll just ask me again and disrupt the build.

Attachments

Last edited:

The-any-Key

I think you need to disable "reload files on change" in the settings.
Because when you load from a remote source you actually make a local copy. Then when you run the project GM auto save it. And because you are using a remote source the saved files will be transferred to the remote computer. Your local copy then get updated and changed. Therefore the message.

Tips is to use Google drive instead. It save on the local computer and send it to the cloud. So you won't get a change message.

Erayd

Truthfully I don't mind the message. I can hit save a thousand times, just as long as I get to run my game at least once in between saves. The message pops up almost immediately after I hit save and it asks to save objects I've never touched. If I add one show_debug_message line the whole project needs to be either reloaded or saved. You'll notice in the picture that there is one line of text per object to be saved, I only edited one object, plus the message didn't go away after I hit save.

The-any-Key

When you save the project GM re-save everything (even stuff you dont change). Just disable "Always reload changed files" in GM and you should be good to go.