Open World Physics Platformer

C

Ceymoonie

The goal is to collect objects in a big physics world.

Windows - Android
Move with WASD, arrow keys, space, Z or X. And use R or backspace to restart on Windows, and the back key on Android. The red blocks are dead ends which will be expanded upon in the future and the gray circles are the placeholder sprites for the collectable objects.

I would really appreciate it if you used two minutes of your time to answer this survey after playing the game. Please don't read it before playing.
http://goo.gl/forms/ZTpyGaZRtbX9bAFg1

Last edited by a moderator:
So I played it and here are some thoughts.

Did you go left or right at the start if the game?
The first time through I went right but then turned around because I thought that if I went down the hole I would have died. Perhaps add some visual information like sign posts or ladders for players to know they can go there.

How often did you get stuck?
I did get stuck fairly often. What would be nice is if the character could create physics objects so they could get out by themselves. Or a grappling gun. Definitely a grappling gun.

What did you think of the view?
The view was nice. It could be a bit larger. I am not sure about it in a big world. A key to zoom in/out or to look around could be an option.

Do you think it looks good?
It is fantastic. I love the art style to bits.

What did you think of the controls and overall gameplay?
The controls were very responsive. The gameplay had a problem in which it feels like the player is interacting with then environment, but the forces in the environment are not affecting the player. In a physics game, it seems a bit off and shallow. Also to add to the gameplay, the character could pickup objects and place them down. I know that this would potentially add another button, but it might be what it needs to give it some more depth.

Can you think a good name for the game?
I don't think there is enough information about the setting or world to come up with a name.

Overall, I think this has a huge amount of potential.

C

Ceymoonie

So I played it and here are some thoughts.
Thanks for the in-depth reply.
It's interesting that you turned around by that hole instead of trying to make the impossible jump, I hadn't thought of that yet.
Do you think that adding some weight to the object will improve the gameplay?

cdgamedev

Not to try and copy @Detective Pixel but hey haha!

Did you go left or right at the start if the game?

I went right and I also thought I was going to die if I fell down :(

How often did you get stuck?
Quite a bit. There were some parts where I could jump up the two high blocks for example

What did you think of the view?
I didn't like the camera angle all too much. Full screen wasn't perfect and gave me a strangely sized box.

Do you think it looks good?
The art style is amazing! Kudos!

What did you think of the controls and overall gameplay?
The controls were amazing! (I used WASD)
Gameplay was great. Could be a great time killer given that more was added - but this is a WIP after all haha

Can you think a good name for the game?
This is where I fall down... Naming games is difficult... :confused: So for the time being I'll have a thing, follow the thread and see where it goes

C

Ceymoonie

Not to try and copy @Detective Pixel but hey haha!
This is actually a really useful format to get some reasoning behind the answers, so please continue copying each other.
Can you take a screenshot in fullscreen mode? Because it's supposed to scale perfectly (apart from the on-screen controls on mobile devices) on anything from a smart watch to an ultra-wide TV.

cdgamedev

This is actually a really useful format to get some reasoning behind the answers, so please continue copying each other.
Can you take a screenshot in fullscreen mode? Because it's supposed to scale perfectly (apart from the on-screen controls on mobile devices) on anything from a smart watch to an ultra-wide TV.
What I meant was the windowed fullscreen not actual fullscreen...

Windowed fullscreen:
Screenshot1.png

Fullscreen:
Screenshot2.png

C

Ceymoonie

What I meant was the windowed fullscreen not actual fullscreen...
That's a relief, I was worried that fullscreen still didn't work right. The window doesn't stretch vertically, because it would either look like this:

Or give away too much information.

cdgamedev

Have you tried both scaling options? As in Global Game Settings > Windows > Graphics > Scaling > Keep Aspect Ratio

I don't know if that would work or not but it might - it works on my games anyway =D

C

Ceymoonie

Have you tried both scaling options? As in Global Game Settings > Windows > Graphics > Scaling > Keep Aspect Ratio

I don't know if that would work or not but it might - it works on my games anyway =D
While that solves the windowed fullscreen problem, it also adds black borders in fullscreen mode on screens that aren't 16:9.

Thanks for the in-depth reply.
It's interesting that you turned around by that hole instead of trying to make the impossible jump, I hadn't thought of that yet.
Do you think that adding some weight to the object will improve the gameplay?
I have been thinking about it and it is probably because there are no elements that need to move the player yet, (Like IDK wind pipes or something.) And the controls are fine right now, so I would suggest to wait.

cdgamedev

While that solves the windowed fullscreen problem, it also adds black borders in fullscreen mode on screens that aren't 16:9.
But if those screens aren't 16:9 then its going to cause them to do this right?

Because the aspect ratio you've used is 16:9

C

Ceymoonie

I call adding black bars instead of stretching the screen "solving the issue", because I think it looks better. But yes, it would still ook bad in windowed fullscreen.
Did that black screen appear in-game?

cdgamedev

I call adding black bars instead of stretching the screen "solving the issue", because I think it looks better. But yes, it would still ook bad in windowed fullscreen.
Did that black screen appear in-game?
Yeah it did. I dont know why.... Only in a resolution that isnt 1920x1080