Open World Chunk System

cdgamedev

I'm looking at making a multiplayer survival game and am having trouble with creating a map that's bigger than the room and is randomly generated. I was wondering if there's a way to generate a tile based world with Chunks and could explain this to me. I was thinking about using DS Grids and have the world move around the player but this failed to work.

Thanks,
Callum

R

rui.rosario

What's your generation algorithm based on? Noise functions (a combination of them) or is it another type of algorithm?

If it is noise-function based then you can regenerate the world as you need to render it.
If it isn't, then it will depend on how the algorithm works.

cdgamedev

What's your generation algorithm based on? Noise functions (a combination of them) or is it another type of algorithm?

If it is noise-function based then you can regenerate the world as you need to render it.
If it isn't, then it will depend on how the algorithm works.
I made the algorithm myself... I can't explain it properly haha... I have commented it tho so it should be understandable haha

Download

NightFrost

How would you do this with something like an actual room? I want a chunk system, but for something pre designed. Perhaps I need to make a level editor...
You would replace the random generation with a grid of your design and your own way of interpreting how the contents of the grid turn into terrain. A level editor would be optional but greatly speed up making your terrain, beats manually typing in large amounts of terrain data.