1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Open World Chunk System

Discussion in 'Programming' started by iTzCallumUK, Aug 30, 2016.

1. iTzCallumUK

iTzCallumUK Member

I'm looking at making a multiplayer survival game and am having trouble with creating a map that's bigger than the room and is randomly generated. I was wondering if there's a way to generate a tile based world with Chunks and could explain this to me. I was thinking about using DS Grids and have the world move around the player but this failed to work.

Thanks,
    Callum

2. rui.rosario

rui.rosario Guest

What's your generation algorithm based on? Noise functions (a combination of them) or is it another type of algorithm?

If it is noise-function based then you can regenerate the world as you need to render it.
    If it isn't, then it will depend on how the algorithm works.

iTzCallumUK likes this.
  3. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

Zerb Games and iTzCallumUK like this.
  4. iTzCallumUK

iTzCallumUK Member

I made the algorithm myself... I can't explain it properly haha... I have commented it tho so it should be understandable haha

Download

5. iTzCallumUK

iTzCallumUK Member

Will take a look at this, thanks!

6. Zerb Games

Zerb Games Member

How would you do this with something like an actual room? I want a chunk system, but for something pre designed. Perhaps I need to make a level editor...

7. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

You would replace the random generation with a grid of your design and your own way of interpreting how the contents of the grid turn into terrain. A level editor would be optional but greatly speed up making your terrain, beats manually typing in large amounts of terrain data.

Zerb Games likes this.