• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Open status bar on Android

Z

zzzzza1

Hello to all!

When a GM creates a game, it automatically hides the status bar (battery, time, etc.)

I found where the status bar goes off in "RunnerActivity.java", but I couldn’t do anything about it (

I also found the function "display_set_ui_visibility(flags)", but it does not work. And on YoYo website, I found information that this function is obsolete.

Can I somehow turn it on?

kupo15

I want to bump this thread because its not "that" old and I've been searching everywhere and haven't found any threads that have the answer. This was exactly the thread I was planning on making so might as well not clutter things up with a duplicate post

Is this function obsolete or not? It appears I was able to get the bottom nav bar visible and working using it. All I see are threads stating to use this but if this is obsolete then what are we supposed to do to get both top and bottom to be visible?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I also need to know how to use this function, can someone please help?
I tried to use some numbers in the flags, but I was only able to show the buttons and not the notification area...

Last edited:

Dregelid

I hope I'm not breaking any rules or etiquette by posting in a three year old thread, but I figured out how to display the status bar!

You can achieve this by manually editing the GMS2 AndroidManifest.xml.
First, find the runtime folder for GMS2!
My installation of GMS2 is on the C-drive, and looks like this ---> C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\

You will probably have more than one runtime folder, you want to target the newest one.
For me, that folder is runtime-2022.3.0.497, which makes the full address for me ---> C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2022.3.0.497\android\runner\ProjectFiles\src\main\
Inside this folder, you should be able to find AndroidManifest.xml.

Open this file in a word editor (I recommend Notepad++) and locate this text:
android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen"

Remove the .Fullscreen-bit at the end, making the text look like this:
android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar"

Save the xml-file.

Voila!
The next time you test android or create an APK, it should now be displaying the status bar at the top.
Reversing back to automatically hiding the status bar is as easy as putting the .Fullscreen back into the xml-file.