Open-sourcing old Game Maker versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if there have been any efforts towards this, but in my opinion it would be awesome if the very old versions of Game Maker (like Game Maker 5, 6) would be open-sourced.
Of course I know that Game Maker is proprietary software, but I think those versions don't generate any income anymore.
AFAIK the engine has been completely rewritten, so it should not cause any security issues to publish these old versions.
I have fond memories of these old engines and it would be amazing to tinker with the source.
Has this been discussed already? Do we know anything about the state of the old sources? Where could I contact officials about this?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
While I personally don't see much of a chance of this happening for reasons I won't mention here because speculation is not allowed, the only way to get a definitive answer is through customer service.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Given that this had been asked multiple times over the last decade, I imagine that the odds aren't high.

However, by now you may find multiple projects that attempt re-creating the legacy GameMaker runtime - with various degrees of success, but at least they aren't written in ancient Pascal+Delphi or whatever the tooling was.

D

Deleted member 13992

Sometimes this is impossible because of tech licensing. I'm not familiar with these old versions, but if they internally use any 3rd party licensed tech, it would basically make it impossible.

Sometimes this is impossible because of tech licensing. I'm not familiar with these old versions, but if they internally use any 3rd party licensed tech, it would basically make it impossible.
Didn't YYG themselves get in trouble over the licensing with MP3?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There are numerous reasons why this won't happen, not least of which is that YYG obviously want people to use the CURRENT version of the software and not some ancient version that probably doesn't work and could potentially lead to a loss in revenue, and a potential increase in support tickets (which in turn would lead to an increase in unhappy users when they're told that the version they are using is no longer supported). Bets avoid all problems and leave things be.

That said, this topic is closed as it's not really up for discussion. I suggest that anyone that feels otherwise should contact YYG through the proper channels and plead your case with them directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.