1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

OneDrive for sync

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by RizbIT, Jul 18, 2019.

1. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

I wanted to ask say i have a GMS project files saved on OneDrive (cloud) can i go on laptop and open this porject on the cloud location, do some work then save it. then if i go to another pc, open onedrive, sign in, can i then open the same project on that device, work on it and save it and i will have downloaded the most recent worked on version?

is it reliable, cos obv everytime you save a project on the cloud it will have to upload the files to the onedrive cloud again, what abot connection issues and some files arent properly uploaded and saved.

but i assume even if the files saved to are on the cloud GMS wil always save a local backup of the saved project which you can revert to in case issues with the cloud version?

2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

No. Don't let any background processes interfere with GMS, this is known to cause file corruption and data loss.

Use source control, for example Git.

Cpaz likes this.
  3. JackTurbo

JackTurbo Member

As tsuka mentioned proper source control is the way to go. Let's you revert to older versions, set up branches for implementing new features. It's really a game changer.

Yellow Afterlife has a good overview of using source control with gms:
    https://yal.cc/gamemaker-using-external-version-control/

Cpaz likes this.
  4. AdventurousDrake

AdventurousDrake Member

In what way is Onedrive interfering? Would my Synology NAS interfere as well? I just started syncing a couple of days ago, but so far so good.

5. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

It may interfere with read/write access, causing a file to be locked and GMS being unable to write to it, thus resulting in any potential changes you're making to your game not being saved. We've also had reports of sync services overwriting changed files with older versions from a different device.

Use source control. Put the repository in a sync service if you want (or use one of the many free repository hosting services that are much, much better suited for this job), but definitely don't sync the working copy.

6. AdventurousDrake

AdventurousDrake Member

Ok, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.