Oldest Version of GM You've Used?

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by mimusic, Nov 26, 2017.

1. cgPixel

cgPixel Member

Wasn't GM1.0 called Animo back then?
    I think the first "real" Game Maker version was 1.1.

The oldest version I've used was Game Maker 1.1 (not my first version), very uncomfortable.

2. Falconsoft-Industries

Falconsoft-Industries Member

Which if history serves me correctly Mark Overmars was originally creating a graphics design tool which slowly transformed into a video editor and then animo.

Which then had evolved into game maker 1, and then Mark Overmars was so happy with his work he continued it and sold it and due to popularity and good reviews he eventually teamed up with YoYoGames and together they made it the beast of the impressive program it is today and it keeps getting more popular.

Well done keep up the great work we don’t know where we would be or what we would be doing without this amazing creation.
    So I am just giving a big thank you to Mark Overmars and YoYoGames for everything they have done. ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. chmod777

chmod777 Member

Game Maker 5... first doing additional levels on the Pac Man demo with Paint (...), then making Mario fangames (there were plenty of those at this time).
    Glad to see these sh* are still working on Windows 10. :p

4. 00.Archer

00.Archer Member

GM6.1 was the newest version back then, but it didn't run well on my PC. I remember getting errors if my games got complex enough. So I spent a lot of time with 5.3/4.3 as it worked fine.

5. thanhthuycb

thanhthuycb Member

The devs interact with the community! I used to email Mar Overmars with feature suggestions and bugs, and the guy would write back--usually within a day--with direct conversation follow-up. Whether it was seeking more info to reproduce an issue, or agreeing on the potential usefulness of a feature, or explaining why a feature was implausible in the current state of things, he was consistently responsive and always thinking of ways to change GameMaker. Today, things sometimes look a little different (helpdesk tickets go unnoticed for weeks or more, feature requests are bluntly closed with a "no") but mostly due to the increase in size of...everything.=

6. Misty

Misty Member

7. Kurtis

Kurtis Member

Going by all of your previous posts, probably Unity. Right?

8. Weird Dragon

Weird Dragon Wizard GMC Elder

My first Game Maker was version 4.2a in 2002. I got very hooked on it which I hadn't expected, I had only downloaded it because I wanted to make an educational game that would teach my violin pupils the names of the notes in a musical staff.
    I did make the game and many of my pupils have played it. But a "side effect" was that I got utterly hooked on Game Maker.

dannyjenn likes this.
  9. Carnivius

Carnivius Member

yeah mine was probably that one or one similar. Whichever exact version was available in February 2002 was my first one as mentioned in a couple pages ago. And 16 and half years later I'm still a failure at making games :D

10. KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ Member

11. Luotigames

Luotigames Member

I don't remember the version, but I did my first game maker projects about 13-14 years ago. After that I came back to making games year 2015.

12. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

GM 6..back when it was free or was it $10

13. Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis Member

You could've bought it for one million like yoyo did, I hope Marky is still rich for bringing us Gmaker, F**king genius

14. RizbIT

RizbIT Member

yoyo paid 1 mill for GM wowzers. i guess they well off then..

i guess mark bought some small island somewhere and chilling

15. Lucia

Lucia Member

Me too. So many time ago :( even if now i'm not using the last version, but the version 8. still not so young to change every time the tool XD

16. Reyes

Reyes Member

I started with version 4.3.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2018
  17. GameDevDan

GameDevDan Your Next Jam Host Moderator GMC Elder

GameMaker 6.0 I think. A neighbour introduced me to it when I was playing at their house. It was a while before I actually got it myself.