• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea Old Public Domain Games... Remade? O.o

C

ConsolCWBY

One of the things I believe in is: Experiencing many different kinds of games, across all genres, all time-periods, can help with game design, since it allows a person to experience the evolution of mechanics in games.
With that said, there are a great many ancient games in the public domain (usually from mainframes), which I would like to update and release for free (particularly the source code). The only problem is: In doing research, I have come up with a 'new' game design that has nothing to do with these games. So... I'm stuck between several projects. Which is why I've been on these forums too much - I think I'm avoiding making the decision.
So, I would like your help (whomever you are) in deciding. Here are the options:

1) King - originally coded for the PDP-8, known in BASIC as Hamarubi, extended to allow simple Military, Socio-political, as well as the usual Economic decision making - with a humorous cartoon alien race. (Extended as in: Originally, too many rats will eat too much grain, thereby the player loses the game. My idea: The rats gradually replace the player's advisors one by one until they take full control - then they eat the player. (a delicious coup!)).

or

2) Un-named design called BOSKO: The player's character must use items in a maze-game to trap enemies. A humourous baddie 'mutates' the enemies until the player escapes. The main feature is combo-chaining traps while the player is taunted/and or misled by the baddie on the hud's right hand corner screen during key levels. The game would require a level editor and a ton of art (I am no artist, but I get by - in a primitive sort of way like my avatar).

So, that's my current problem: Both games are derivitive enough but they do have many original features to stand out. Well, thanks for listening, and I hope to have a WIP thread going for one of these before summer's end. And if you could... Haaaaaaalllllppp! ;)

i would lean a bit towards the second but i dont understand the full concept of both, just what you said.

the main thing though is that i need to understand the actual mechanics at play here and how you would convert them into a consumer good,. the second one sounds like it would have more potential, trap the trapper exc exc.

whould you be making this for the pc? mobile?

C

ConsolCWBY

i would lean a bit towards the second but i dont understand the full concept of both... how you would convert them into a consumer good,. the second one sounds like it would have more potential, trap the trapper exc exc.
whould you be making this for the pc? mobile?
Your post is EXACTLY why I want to make the first. If GameMaker was on the Commodore or Speccy, I doubt you would have never heard of the first one. To make it short: The King game: Turn based strategy game - like Civilization - boiled down to answering 3 questions:
1. How many Acres of land do you wish to buy? (negative numbers = sell)
2. How many bushels (of grain) do you wish to use to feed your people?
3. How many bushels do you wish to use as seed?
After that, a series of simple calculations are made and the next year begins by your advisor (really only text) telling you:
How many people were born, died, immigrated, how many acres were harvested (less people, less harvest), how many bushels were eaten by people, by rats, and the current state of your kingdom.
All this takes approx. 40 lines of code in BASIC. And it was created circa 1968. Extending it with a story mode and graphics, along with a bit more game to chew on would be cool.

My other game is a cell-based (or grid-based) maze game, not unlike a cross between the Deception combined with Sokoban. With humorous enemies - because my 'art' is that horrendous when it's serious! LOL! Really, I can't say too much more about it because I have not gone whole hog with the design. Think power-ups = items to be placed, if placed - now place a trigger for it. Enemy steps on trigger, WHAM! Combo-ing and a level timer is all I really came up with for now.

C

ConsolCWBY

JML & zircher: Thank you for the input! I was leaning towards that one before I talked to some friends...

There are currently 5 ideas I ran past my irl friends yesterday, and they all seem to agree on a horror game idea I had last year (dumb), so after much consideration, I have decided to continue with an experiment I made a few months ago, which is so very simplistic - a minimalistic platforrmer (UGH! ANOTHER ONE??!!!1! - yep) which is based on this puzzle game's idea: BABY JACK.

One of the main reasons for the switch, is because - I will admit - my lack of experience with GML's data structures and mapping facilities. This project would be focused on getting the auto-tiling and AI mapping down pat. A game like this would need a level editor which is something I have never made before, but something I may need for the 2nd project. So far, today, I have revamped the internal structure of the controls and came up with some very basic temp sprites and prelim alpha blending:

So. Thanks to everyone again! Hopefully, things go smoothly and I don't end up with 5 of the same games! :D

*EOF*