Discussion Old MMOs?

Neptune

So I guess Runescape started over twenty years ago... around 2000.

I'm interested in how some of these older projects (like Runescape, Realm of the Mad God, or Maple Story) came to be... How the creators acquired the networking skills to make such MMOs (a whopping 20 years ago for RS, and before youtube).
Ultima Online (1997).
In the case of RotMG, it appears to have been prototyped and playable in a very short time for a game jam of sorts.

For those CS majors out there, do you feel you have you learned the tools to make such networking beasts?
Anyone know any newer solo or small indie MMO titles of the likes mentioned above?

Any thoughts, ideas, experience welcome!

Last edited:

Gamebot

A ton of work in Sprites, Tiles, Layers and similar along with Java and possible other languages. The same as today! That's the short answer.
I don't know if they still used Ray Casting at the time for all 2D to look 3D. It was popular with 90's games like Wolfenstein 3D...and the whole genre to follow until actual 3D. They could have been past that already by 1996/97. Then again it's still used today for 3D...

As far as learning all of that depends if they had any background in programming/spiriting before. Some of them may have started in BASIC and worked up to JAVA and or other "C" languages. You can probably look that one up. There were plenty of books and schools that taught those concepts at least in the somewhat bigger city I grew up in.

There were many newer developments in programming languages by 1996. I remember Joking with one or two friends, really poor Joke mind you, of how we would go to the Java House ( Coffee Shop ) to learn Java. It wasn't anything serious at the time.