• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Forums Old man here GM 5 & 6

F

Facetious

As I said, Old man here;I am now 72 years old and in my old age, I find that the memory is sadly getting worse. I have found some 'old games I was trying to make and that got me thinking that I should re-kindle my love of GM as a simple way of creating games.

So I thought that after over 10 years of not using GM, I would try and give it a go. However, I think things have changed a lot and, in my opinion, not for the better.

I started out with a purchase version of GM5 (yes, I still have a record of the KEY) and then upgraded to GM6 which, as far as my unreliable memory goes, was automatically issued with a GM6 KEY).

I have just done a search of the 'archive' GM forum and found that there, I joined on Jan 7, 2004 and subsequently had 36 posts.

Now, as I said, above, I would like to try my hand again at GM, but I absolutely refuse to pay the price required for GM studio 2. Anyway, it is probably far beyond what I would need. So, I am looking at GM 8 or 8.1; I have downloaded a copy of GM 8 (and tried the lite version) already but am finding it difficult it trying to decipher some of my previous attempts! Now I am not looking at publishing to the whole world but would like to be able to let my very young grand-nieces and grand-nephews have an executable copy. They, like me, have windows 10 and I have a feeling that a Gm 8 exe may not run well, if at all, on Windows 10; would I be correct?

Another question, I do not have any 'extension packages installed but I get a message that extension packages are only available in the PRO edition (or something similar).

Also, this evening, GM8 Lite, froze - "Access violation at address 00538E46 in module 'fishing.exe'. Read of address 00000068" Has anyone any idea what this is about (possible Windows 10?) and about 6 or 7 messages (which I presume are the same but as the system has frozen I am unable to close each individually.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
8.x versions have a known driver-level audio crash on Windows 8 and above, this is exactly what you are seeing. It was one of several reasons why it was quickly yanked off sale several years ago. Your only choice at this point is to either stay with GM5, or get GMS 2.x and re-learn how to use it.

TrunX

The free standard version of GMS1 would have been ideal for your needs. Sadly it's no longer available (without purchasing GMS2) and it seems you've missed the recent Humble Bundle Sale in which you could get GMS1 Pro for 1$ (Pay what you want) and all the Export Modules for 15$.

Wish you all the best and your grand nephews and nieces some fun games to play :)

hogwater

If you grab GMS 2, you'll get 1.4 for free (which is quite a bit better than GM8 and older, but you would feel right at home coming from that version). If you don't like the price you could wait for a Humble Bundle sale, but one just ended so it may be a while.

F

Facetious

So, I downloaded Studio 2 on the Free Trial basis and I have to say that I find it very difficult. It is certainly not as easy to learn as earlier Game Maker programs.

Like many programs, they are made for more experienced would be game makers and filled with things that a beginner does not need nor would use in a 100 years. Just like Microsoft Word, there are 100s of things there which the majority of users do not need (nor want.

GM 5 and 6 certainly had sufficient things to create a reasonable game and would suffice all beginners. It was clear and an uncluttered screen. Again the Studio 2 makers/writers must be using massive screens, not like the majority of home users. I find it difficult to read many of the lists, the screen print is so small - though I must say that at least Studio 2 does have a system of increasing the size of windows (but then they tend to go off screen and no scroll bar).

In my opinion, Game Maker should have 2 programs: one for beginners similar to GM 5 and six (but without the bugs of GM 8). A simple screen and a clear drag and drop system which can be extended by coding. The second for those who have learnt on the beginner's version and can move onto more complicated coding as Studio 2 provides. The fact that a beginner needs to follow so many learning videos (with Shaun) proves my point. I started with a reasonably; a short written guide to make my first game - a ball bouncing off the four walls and a further one with an object going around the screen, walking jumping, climbing ladders and trees, picking up objects and so on.

I should add that I have downloaded and looked at Godot and Unity but found them to be more complicated than GM Studio. None are conceived for beginners, in my opinion.

Anyway, all that is just my opinion from and old man who got on reasonably well with the old versions of GM but who is having difficulty with the latest version. I think I will just have to keep looking for another game maker program until I find something suitable for a beginner's needs. Maybe it is just me in my old age.

Kind regards to all.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I removed a post. Innocent intentions, so no harm done. But it's not really appropriate to discuss alternatives to GameMaker on the YoYoGames forum.

@George Thompson: Your software choice is... well, your choice. But I think you're misjudging the difficulty of Studio 2 -- perhaps because of the IDE changes, rather than the GML language itself.

If you can code basic games in GM 5 and 6, I'm confident you can do the same with Studio 2. At its core, it's not that different, despite the IDE. The familiar events are there (plus new ones you can ignore). And the GML syntax is very similar.

Trust me, 70+ isn't that old (I can see it from here ;)). I doubt you're ready for the old age home.

Ladi_Pix3l

I removed a post. Innocent intentions, I'm sure, but it's not appropriate to discuss specific alternatives to GameMaker on the YoYoGames forum.
I thought that was a bit. . . off. . .to suggest other programs on this particular topic

ThePC007

8.x versions have a known driver-level audio crash on Windows 8 and above, this is exactly what you are seeing. It was one of several reasons why it was quickly yanked off sale several years ago. Your only choice at this point is to either stay with GM5, or get GMS 2.x and re-learn how to use it.
I heard all this talk about GM8 having audio problems and audio-related crashes on Win8+, but I have never been able to recreate those on a Win10 system. In fact, I've just fired up GM8 and made a small program that did nothing but playing a music file - and it works perfectly fine. Even when switching between the different sound kinds no problems arise.

I think 1.4 is your best bet if you want something familiar. The difference between it and 8 is negligible.

I'm going to encourage you also to try out GMS2. When I switched over (and it took me a while! I hate change), it took me about 4 hours to get used to, but after that, it's way better.

TrunX

Havent tried out the link but as far as I know you need an Account with an activated Standard Licence in addition which was free but is no longer available for new users so the download link will not help him?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

He was being sarcastic. Poking fun at you and YoYo's policy of pretending no other engines in the world exist on these forums. :p
Yeah, YoYoGames are a bit of an enigma. Pun intended. I don't think anyone will understand where the pun is, which is the only reason why I'm saying it.

This man just need one thing: A download link of GMS 1.4 which is free to use on standar version

Here is a link <LINK REMOVED>

I dont recommend Unity or Love2d, or godot or any other complex engine, Game Maker has enough for begginers who dont want to see any line of code at all.

That policy about no to mention any other engine in this forum is totally dictatorship, is all moderators from cuba or venezuela? LOL

I hope not breaking any rules by being fair here.
Would you eat Chick-Fil-A in a McDonald's? That's basically the same thing in concept as talking about other engines on the GMC. I think it's going a little overboard to call that a dictatorship.

Last edited by a moderator:

klys

Yeah, YoYoGames are a bit of an enigma. Pun intended. I don't think anyone will understand where the pun is, which is the only reason why I'm saying it.

Would you eat Chick-Fil-A in a McDonald's? That's basically the same thing in concept as talking about other engines on the GMC. I think it's going a little overboard to call that a dictatorship.
McDonalds is so kind that if you buy a burgerking and you go to eat it on McDonalds they will not complain about it. Bad comparison... xD

T

The Sentient

McDonalds is so kind that if you buy a burgerking and you go to eat it on McDonalds they will not complain about it. Bad comparison... xD
Very true. They embrace good competition (not pretend that it doesn't exist).

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Very true. They embrace good competition (not pretend that it doesn't exist).
Because chickens don't have nuggets.

Ok back on topic, I think the OP should consider at least the desktop edition. It's the cheapest option, and making games for desktops looks to be what he's after, anyway. I find every penny of the $99.99 worth it, personally.