• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Offline use impossible

M

Mimzou

I did spend a 100$ on a license, and it says i can use the software offline, YoYo confirmed it to me. But I just cannot. Crash every time.

Got the steam version.

M

Mimzou

"cannot connect to remote server" then quits or crash, but like white screen and crash

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please file a bug report. Include as much information as possible, and include the UI.log which you can get from %programdata%\GameMakerStudio2\...

M

Mimzou

i've done it, didn't get anything back yet.
Sent them an email too, they didn't understand the problem exactly (i didn't explain really well eithet)..

M

Mimzou

Ok what happens exactly is this : I bought the software on steam, logged in, did a couple of tutorials. If I try to start the software offline, it tries to login, the little loading circle turns and turns and turns... if I click, I get the white "not responding" layer on the GM2 window, and it comes back saying "Unable to connect to remote server" nd the only button available is "Retry".

If I click retry, it takes me back to the login window. From there, If i try to login again, nothing, login fail. If I click on "cancel", the software closes, and the little cross in the top right corner of the login window closes the software too.

It is a great software, I feel that I really wnt to get into it, but so far it hardly gives me a chance...

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Have you tried the non-Steam version? I'm able to use that offline just fine (well, for up to 30 days, I was told).

B

Biggz

It's a long shot but is GMS2 in any way linked to Steam's Offline mode?

Might be worth giving it a go, cant link to the steam article but if you load the steam main page then select Steam -> Go Offline it should prompt you to restart steam in offline mode.

M

Mimzou

Tried offline steam mode, not working. @FrostyCat the problem is that I already paid the 100$ license. So I'm already f*****

EDIT : i tried something else : I downloaded the Yoyo website version, and tried to use it offline. I get EXACTLY the same result than with the steam version. And I know it's not the same version, because the top-right corner doesn't say "steam"

Is there anything I'm supposed to do to make it usable offline ?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Storyteller

I think you need to login online at least once.

try running it connected to the net first, see if you can get in. then try offline. I live in the middle of nowhere and use my phone as a wifi-hotspot, so Im offline most of the time, unless I need to be. Im able to get on, but I had to be online when I started up once before it would work. After that first login, I could get in without being connected, but it had to 'verify' me or whatever first.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You have to connect at least once to get started, and at least once every 30 days thereafter to keep it going.

If you already paid for the license on Steam, that's fine. Go to account.yoyogames.com, get a YoYo account if you don't already have one, link your Steam account and then try signing in from non-Steam GMS 2.

Last edited:
A

Alex1822

I have this problem. I bought GMS2 in steam. But i need work offline in my deal, is very important, i dont have internet in this place. Help me!

I select mode offline in steam, but GMS2 ask me to login, cant enter. Show this message "the remote name could not be resolved: account.yoyogames.com

This program does not work for me, i need offline. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If you switch off Wifi (Airplane mode) and/or pull the cable from the ethernet, do you still get this issue?
(Make sure you've logged in successfully to GMS2 before doing this).

M

Mimzou

Ok so to answer everyone : I have logged in before, several times (actually every single time I wanted to use GM 2), my steam account is linked, and if I start GM 2 and THEN go offline, I can use it. And in my yoyogames account, it clearly says I have a steam version license granted.

I really don't get it. @Alex1822 please fi you find a fix let me know.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Steam offline mode has now been fixed internally. After you login at least once, you'll then have the normal grace period (whatever that is - can't remember) before having to go back online.

M

Mimzou

Ok. I logged int GM 2, used it a little, closed it, turned steam to offline mode, started GM 2 again, and no. Not working, it says the same message about the remote server.
I work at sea, and internet costs a fortune on board. I hope this will be sorted real soon.

Edit : if i start GM 2 when steam is in online mode but my computer is offline, i get a message saying "one parameter was missing".

That's new...

M

Mimzou

I don't get it... Some people said they can use the steam version offline.

YoYo sent me also an email saying it should work.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Well, I found a bug in it and then fixed it. On windows, machines and usage may vary, so they may well have gotten it to work, but it wasn't "right". It now is. (I hope)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@Mike: Question related to offline use: If my computer has internet access, but GM2 can't connect to the YYG license server, will GM2 allow itself to run? Or will GM2 just hang trying to connect?

This happened a couple of times. Maybe YYG was down, or maybe some intermediate server was misbehaving. When that happens, GM2 won't run. But if I physically disconnect from the internet, GM2 will run offline just fine.

Wondering how GM2 is designed to respond when the user's internet is accessible, but YYG's server is unreachable.

M

Mimzou

Well... at least I know now that my computer isn't the problem, and that it will be fixed at some point.

M

Mimzou

Got a Yoyo email saying it's fixed, with a link to how to do it, but no. Not working. I told them, they said "just don't logout".

I NEVER did logout, the software ALWAYS asks me to login when i start, even with steam offline.