Windows Odium Arena (online game) UPDATED OP

Lhargo

ODIUM ARENA INFO SITE

Odium Arena is a 2D hack n’ slash battle royale that relies on instinct and creativity. It combines the fast, high skill-cap,
tactically-complex combat of games like Bloodborne with the overarching strategic elements and constant feeling of dread brought by the battle royale genre.

Dreams of this game have been in my head for years now. Something beautiful but eerie, an island never before uncovered and shrouded in mystery.
Dense forests, ancient architecture, shattered ruins and collapsing catacombs. Gathered on an island with only one goal: Survive and Shed blood.
Where am I? Where are my enemies? What skills do they have? Are they after me? Can I survive? Can I thrive? Those are the emotions our studio wants to give our players.

STORY / INFO

Welcome to the isle of Luger, home to the covetous Keepers and their unfathomable hoards of treasure.
Legend states that Keepers only appear after immense bloodshed, so many brave heroes, well-paid mercenaries, and unfortunate prisoners from across the land are sent to the island to enact violence.
They hope to lure out the Keepers, kill them, and take their riches. It’s your turn now. Good luck prisoner.

Traverse a beautiful, detailed world with shortcuts, dead-ends, and hidden treasures.
Tear through your opponents with brutal, deadly, and punishing combat. Scavenge ancient and unique weapons.
Discover cryptic tomes and use them to wield arcane magic.

We’re designing this game to be accessible and inviting for new players and to simultaneously foster a rich competitive environment.
We make this game easy to pick up through clean visuals and the non-binary metric of success the battle royale format affords.
Features like spectating give new players a way to engage with the game as easily as possible, while also enabling players to develop clever tactics,
hone their instincts, and succeed at the highest levels of competition. Responsive and intuitive controls give new players the power to experience the gripping
tension and double-edged combat of the game easily, and at the same time let high skill competitive games focus on instinct and nerves.

Strong art and animation is extremely important to us. Aesthetics are inseparable from emotion, and a beautiful world with gripping effects adds so much.
We strive to craft our sprites and backgrounds with focus and dedication, making sure that each pixel contributes to and embellishes the overall player experience.

PVP/Labyrinth Structure

The game has two types of modes: PvP and PvE. Players have many options when it comes to PvP rooms and playing against other players:

Deathmatch: A match with 2-8 people. Last person standing or person with the most points after the match is over wins.
Team Battle: A match with teams of 2v2 up to 4v4. One team must eliminate the other team or have the most points to win.
Base Assault: Each team has a base that they must protect. In order to win you must destroy the other team’s base monolith.
King Match: One player starts this room and other players queue up to fight them one at a time. When someone defeats that player they become the new King.

As far as story the story mode and single player experience upon completing the tutorial the player is given the option to immediately engage in pvp or descend into the dungeon labyrinth.
Apart from the labyrinth there is a survival mode which players can use to sharpen their pve skills . as well as a training grounds/dojo

CORE MECHANICS

Combos like this can be made using a combination of weapon attacks, weapon skills, and universal skills

Weapons

Equipping various weapons.

Weapons are the most important items in the game.
There are currently 7 weapon categories, each of which has 3 different weapons in it, and players can equip 2 weapons at once.
The 2 weapons a player is carrying have independent cooldowns, and this allows players to attack with both weapons in quick succession.
Attacking with weapons also costs energy, a quickly regenerating resource that is shared among all of a player’s actions and forces them to consider how they’ll pace themselves in combat.
Universal Skills (spellbook)

Universal skills Conflagration, Frost Purge, and Varja

Every fighter that comes to Luger has a special affinity to magic that lets them use Universal Skills.
Channeling these Universal Skills requires that the user expend prana, a slowly regenerating resource to manage which reflects the player’s level of attunement to the fabric of the universe.
Universal Skills are learned from books hidden around the map and come in many varieties, offensive or defensive, attacks or buffs.

Weapon skills for the Shortsword, Longsword & Dao.

Weapons come with Weapon Skills, which are unique attacks or buffs that can be performed at the cost of energy and prana.
Weapon Skills give combat a new layer of depth, and using them well is the difference between victory and defeat.
Rolling/Dodging

Dodging works for melee attacks and ranged projectiles. You can also dodge over traps.
Rolling is your main means of evading attacks and closing distance. Combat is very lethal, so timing your rolls well is crucial.

Obtaining and drinking a Healing Elixr.
Consumable items come in many forms, like elixirs that restore health, energy, or prana, scrolls that give players buffs, and one-time-use devices or projectiles.
These items add a rich resource gathering component to the game, and force players to constantly reevaluate their strategy:
how much will you use now, instead of later, and how many opponents will you take the risk of hunting for their goods?

Players are given a wide variety of costumes to choose from.
These costumes are equipped onto base skins and can be bought or unlocked through gameplay. Some costumes are rare, and some are exclusive.
As the game progresses, more and more costumes will be released, and we’ll host events that give players the opportunity to design their own unique costumes.

CURRENT STATE

The Game is currently in a PVP only demo state with slight customization.
We host test sessions with group of current discord members to experiment and improve the core parts of the game before focusing on increasing the amount of content.

Official Discord

Last edited:

Lhargo

For now this is the only place I have posted the game. not really good with blogging & posting updates , but hopefully that will change

Lhargo

server and client are getting a rework as we move into the combat stage.
a sneak peak at some of the weapon skills and universal skills we will be implementing.

Abyssal Slice

Frost Purge

Lhargo

A short preview of what you can expect Combat to be like. its always a good idea to follow up your normal attack with a weapon skill or universal skill.
Rolling has a cool down of 3.5 seconds so it should only be used when absolutely needed. your enemy is generally knocked in the last direction you were facing

"Varja Smite"skill will be heavily nerfed

Last edited:

Lhargo

id like some feedback on which of the following methods to go with as far as game rooms and sessions are concerned.

Method 1 (current method): players que up. the game starts, no other players may join, game is over when 1 player is left standing

Second method : players que up, game starts, other players may join if its in the first 3 minutes. game is over when 1 player is left standing

third method: 1 player can start the game, players may continue to join so long as at least 1 of the 5 bosses is still alive. (after all bosses are dead no new players may join, the last standing player is the winner)

Roalinn

id like some feedback on which of the following methods to go with as far as game rooms and sessions are concerned.

Method 1 (current method): players que up. the game starts, no other players may join, game is over when 1 player is left standing

Second method : players que up, game starts, other players may join if its in the first 3 minutes. game is over when 1 player is left standing

third method: 1 player can start the game, players may continue to join so long as at least 1 of the 5 bosses is still alive. (after all bosses are dead no new players may join, the last standing player is the winner)
What is game type ? a battle royale ? roguelike ? etc.

if type is battle royale, you should give a time for other players can connect. Then game start.

if type is roguelike, same thing.

but if it is a mission or challange, i think extra players can't join us from start.

if you give us a information about the game system, we want to help :D

Good luck for your project. I want to play it near time :)

Roalinn

its a battle royale, but there are other enemies not just players. @Roalinn
i think you should give a time (like warmup in csgo or like in pubg) for players connect. then game start and nobody can join after game start.
so i think method 1 is good .

Last edited:
S

spoonsinbunnies

in my opinion option one is the fairest option so I would go with that

Lhargo

Finished all weapon skill icons and descriptions .
the ones with blue names just mean I have not finished the animations.
the numbers in the second column represent how much prana will be consumed to cast each skill.
I am also debating whether to add cooldowns.
weaponskills.png

Roalinn

You should start marketting. Social media, youtube, official game page because if game will reveal, nobody know it so nobody will play it. maximum 10-15 players it is bad for this game.

Lhargo

You should start marketting. Social media, youtube, official game page because if game will reveal, nobody know it so nobody will play it. maximum 10-15 players it is bad for this game.
I think its a little to early for that. but I plan on having a discord and marketing around release time

Lhargo

If anyone is interested in helping me make a community/ managing discord please feel free to contact me!

Roalinn

I think the game's screenshots and devlogs is enough for marketting for now. I want to help but i don't understand marketing , community/managing etc.

Lhargo

3/4 done with all of the skills! this one is called Blitz, for the dagger weapon.
credits to Image/31

Lhargo

We are currently setting up the item using and equipping as well as assigning and unlocking skills. we recently got a vps and are moving the database and files over.

All items and equips have been given their attributes. the equips are not yet drawn on the player but they do function properly.in due time I plan to have a system to seamlessly add visual equips.

I am nearly finish with all the skill animations, some new player animations have also been completed.

-Drinking Potions

-Molotov Coctail

-Assault Skill

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16767

First mmo made in game maker that actually looks worth playing. Good job!

Lhargo

Completed the skill "Permafrost Palm" from the book of frost.
this attack will freeze an enemy for 4 seconds giving you the chance to attack them again.

Last edited:

Lhargo

Completed the Magic skill "Summon Skeleton" from "Book of the Dead"
Sacrifice 50% of your HP and Prana to summon a skeletal minion. It can take 2 hits before it dies.
only one skeleton may be summoned at a time.If you are attacked before the cast is complete the summoning will fail.

Do you guys think the Skeleton should be permanent? or it dies after 3 minutes?
should it have health as opposed to 2 hits?

D

Deleted member 16767

2 hits before it dies < 50% of your hp. I don't think it gives enough value unless you can heal yourself up again.

Lhargo

2 hits before it dies < 50% of your hp. I don't think it gives enough value unless you can heal yourself up again.
yes you can refill it afterwards, the player can take 6 hits before dying, to put that to scale

Lhargo

Completed the Spear skill "Blade Spin" from "Book of Spears"
Energize your spear and spin it in the air around you, anyone in range will be hit for 45% PhysAtk and knocked back.
this skill can also deflect projectiles

Last edited:
M

MEITdev

This looks like an interesting project. I have to agree with what has been said before - start social media presence, twitter for screenshots, stream your development on twitch, post youtube updates, and once ready for a small demo invite people from indie webzines to play against each other and write an article to promote you and give feedback (prior to that one you may want to create a small alpha testing group of people to iron out the quirks and details).
Keep up the great work, this might be a game worth queuing for ;)

Roalinn

I don't know exactly the type of game, but the speed of the skills may be shorter for the sake of speeding up the game. For example, character turn the spear quickly once, not 3-4 times. The game is progressing really well. Congratulations to all of you. One day i wanna play this game.

edit: And i think you should create a discord server.

Lhargo

I don't know exactly the type of game, but the speed of the skills may be shorter for the sake of speeding up the game. For example, character turn the spear quickly once, not 3-4 times. The game is progressing really well. Congratulations to all of you. One day i wanna play this game.

edit: And i think you should create a discord server.
i'm really happy to hear that people are looking forward to play the game.

the reason I made the skill this long because the spear is already pretty powerful so I had to give it a slight handicap. the animation is long so other players have an opportunity to punish you if you use it at the wrong time. but if you're the one casting this skill you can use it to your advantage if you cast Monken immediately when its done.

another reason its long is so you can deflect more than 1 projectile.
I made a discord, I just don't always have updates to post https://discord.gg/QqmKt5U

Lhargo

This looks like an interesting project. I have to agree with what has been said before - start social media presence, twitter for screenshots, stream your development on twitch, post youtube updates, and once ready for a small demo invite people from indie webzines to play against each other and write an article to promote you and give feedback (prior to that one you may want to create a small alpha testing group of people to iron out the quirks and details).
Keep up the great work, this might be a game worth queuing for ;)
thank you very much! im happy to hear this. im not sure I can even stream my development because I often get distracted and find myself doing other things. but il note down the things you recommended.

Thank you! i'll do my best!

I also thought about having a different mode where your progress is saved . for those who want an rpg experience as opposed to a battle royale but I haven't discussed it with the programmer yet