• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Odd slowdown when using game_restart() on straight import.

Cpaz

I'm working on a small project to get used to GMS2. This primarily featured a straight import with a few functions to replace, as it's still pretty WIP.

Please play these and restart/die a couple of times. I would like to know If i'm crazy or not.
GMS1 zip
GMS2 zip
(IJKL=movement, mouse=gun stuff, enter=restart game, escape=exit)

I'm thinking this should be reported. But I just want to be sure.

EDIT: Apparently, the gamespeed is not reset on restarting. Thus, when setting the gamespeed manually at the start, the issue is resolved.

So in short. I had issues. It turns out Game maker wasn't resetting the gamespeed upon restart. Which I believe is a problem and shall also be reported.

Last edited:

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I don't think importing has much of an impact on your issue. How did you notice the "slowdown"?
Are you cleaning all data structures properly? Then again, that should give some memory bulk, but not necessarily a slowdown.

Cpaz

I don't think importing has much of an impact on your issue. How did you notice the "slowdown"?
Are you cleaning all data structures properly? Then again, that should give some memory bulk, but not necessarily a slowdown.
Just a quick question, you played both games right? If so, then just ignore this question. If not, please play them.

The slowdown seems to occur when I either die or hit "enter," which restarts the game. This slowdown does not occur in GMS 1.4. But does in full force in GMS 2.
I also do not use ds_lists/grids. For anything that I might need something similar, I just use arrays. If arrays are not getting deleted, then it's something on yoyogames part. Again, this is just a straight import.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I would have liked to play your games to test out the issue if it wasnt for the databundle I'm currently on.

Cpaz

Are bumps applicable on these forums?
I've already thrown up a bug report. But again, I would like to know as to whether or not I'm just crazy.
For all I know it could by some fraction of chance be hardware related (on my end of course). Or even some sort of memory leak in GMS2 runtime.

B

BlooRooster1

I have no insight to provide, but I did download the files and will report:
I get a "slow-motion effect" when dying on the GMS1 version, but not when restarting. The GMS2 version is unplayable. The "texture" for the ground is drawn on top of the sprites, so you cant see anything. Also, as far as I can tell the movement overall is veeerrry slow compared to the GMS1 version. Of course, I cant see the characters movement, but the scrolling speed is very slow and choppy. Hope this helps you figure something out.

Cpaz

I have no insight to provide, but I did download the files and will report:
I get a "slow-motion effect" when dying on the GMS1 version, but not when restarting. The GMS2 version is unplayable. The "texture" for the ground is drawn on top of the sprites, so you cant see anything. Also, as far as I can tell the movement overall is veeerrry slow compared to the GMS1 version. Of course, I cant see the characters movement, but the scrolling speed is very slow and choppy. Hope this helps you figure something out.
The slow-motion effect when dying is intentional.
But this is... Not what I was expecting. On my end, initially, it was the same game except that everything slows down when restarting. I believe this is the "slow movement" and "choppy camera" you're referring too.

I also just downloaded the .exe myself. That's every odd. I'll try recompiling and re uploading.