• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Odd mouse behaviour, and clipboard issues

D

dafu

I've been playing with GMS2 for a week now, I've never tried previous versions. So far I quite like it! I've tried them all from home made OpenGL/OpenAL/NativeWindowing engine in C, to SDL, sfml, XNA, Love, Unity, Godot. I find that GMS2 really stands out of he crowd, it's got its problems but its really enjoyable.

Speaking of problems two things bug me right now:

- GMS2 lives in its own clipboard world, it doesn't want to share with Windows. This is especially annoying when I'm trying to copy and paste code from a web browser into GMS2. Since GMS2 help is a local webpage this means you can't even copy and paste from its own help pages!

- GMS2 does some weird mouse grabbing. My mouse behaves oddly when I click outside of the GMS2 window. The mouse pointer jumps, and it clicks in some unintended place. It's quite frustrating! I have a dual monitor setup where one monitor is 1920x1200 and the other is 1920x1080, but the problem still seems to occur when I disable one of the displays.

These issues still occur with today's 2.0.3.56 release (Dec 19, 2016).

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
1) The clipboard issue appear to be regional/language based. It's working fine here but the users who seem to have issues appear to be using non-English regional settings. What are yours? It should work, we're looking into it.

2) This has also been reported, but we're again finding it hard to replicate here. Mouse make/model. OS version, region settings - basically everything you can give us will help. (Can you file this info along with the bug?) It's not the odd monitor setup, because mine is really odd and it works fine for me.

D

dafu

1) The clipboard issue appear to be regional/language based. It's working fine here but the users who seem to have issues appear to be using non-English regional settings. What are yours? It should work, we're looking into it.
My region is "United States", language is "English (United States)"

2) This has also been reported, but we're again finding it hard to replicate here. Mouse make/model. OS version, region settings - basically everything you can give us will help. (Can you file this info along with the bug?) It's not the odd monitor setup, because mine is really odd and it works fine for me.
Created a bug report with this info

D

dafu

My region is "United States", language is "English (United States)"

D

dafu

Follow up on this. I recently re-imaged my computer (an annual cleanup that I like to do) with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. When I tried GameMaker2 again both of these problems went away... Not sure what the difference in my setup is now, my region hasn't changed.

L

LarryP

I reported the mouse weirdness in a bug report a few weeks ago. I have the same exact problem with the cursor being weird outside of GM2. I use Win7 Pro 64 bit. Ram is 24 gigs. Both displays are 1920x1080. AMD Radeon 5800 series. This issue has been keeping me from working in GM2 a lot. I don't want to do a clean install to get rid of this though, and may find out it's still there.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Follow up on this. I recently re-imaged my computer (an annual cleanup that I like to do) with a fresh install of Windows 10 Home. When I tried GameMaker2 again both of these problems went away... Not sure what the difference in my setup is now, my region hasn't changed.
k - thanks for the update..... no idea what this is.....

N

Nikles

I confirm both issues still exists.
Mouse grab issues (outside GMS 2 when GMS 2 is focused) and clipboard issues (from/to other apps).

OS is Win 7 64bit EN.
Notebook keyboard is ITA but setting the Win 7 language bar to IT or EN doesn't change a thing.

GMS 2 version is 2.0.5.72

N

Nikles

Same 2 bugs in GMS 2 version is 2.0.5.74
Mouse grab issues (especially the Windows 7 taskbar behavior when GMS 2 is focused) and clipboard issues (from/to other apps).

edit: the mouse bug 25195 is still there. Might be related. Here's a gif of the bug in action:

I'm just giving focus to GMS 2 and then clicking outside.

Also adding the clipboard issue GIF here (no strange mouse grabbing behavior because GMS 2 was unfocused at the start of the GIF):

I really hope this can help solve the bugs

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

as for clipboard.... I cannot paste sprites from GMS2 directly to photoshop - I need to paste into Paint, and then copy again.

N

Nikles

UPDATE: upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 did NOT solve the issues.

N

Nelson DaSilva

I'm using the latest version (2.0.5.49) and as of today (March 17, 2017) these issues have not been addressed; really annoying!

Jobo

GMC Elder
We 'cannot' fix this without a means to reproduce it, unfortunately... Do share all the information you can, try different PCs etc. and let us know what you find so we can hopefully get some leads to go on.

N

Nikles

We 'cannot' fix this without a means to reproduce it, unfortunately... Do share all the information you can, try different PCs etc. and let us know what you find so we can hopefully get some leads to go on.
The UI log doesn't really logs much.
Can't I enable some sort of lower level logging and send you back the results?
Could these be OpenTK issues?

I'm willing to test whatever build you throw at me, giving you any feedback you want.
I might go as far as letting you remotely access my PC via VNC or TeamViewer if necessary

N

Nikles

UPDATE:
I can confirm that a clean install of the OS and of GMS2, completely solved both the issues (clipboard and mouse).

Since I still have to reinstall all the other software, I will get back to this, should the issue come up again.
I will make sure to test GMS2 after every single software installation I make.

B

Biggz

I've got this issue as well, I'll PM Russell.

Can't post a link to a video I made of this until I post a few more times :p nevermind.

B

Biggz

UPDATE:
I can confirm that a clean install of the OS and of GMS2, completely solved both the issues (clipboard and mouse).

Since I still have to reinstall all the other software, I will get back to this, should the issue come up again.
I will make sure to test GMS2 after every single software installation I make.
Did this issue ever come back for you? I've messaged @rwkay but not had a response as yet. I'd rather avoid reinstalling my OS.

I'm wondering if we've got any similar applications that could be causing us problems; however the only ones I thought might I have disabled and I'm still getting issues (Synergy and StartIsBack+)

N

Nikles

Did this issue ever come back for you? I've messaged @rwkay but not had a response as yet. I'd rather avoid reinstalling my OS.

I'm wondering if we've got any similar applications that could be causing us problems; however the only ones I thought might I have disabled and I'm still getting issues (Synergy and StartIsBack+)
As of today I have not encountered those 2 bugs again.
Also I never had the two applications you mentioned (not even when the bugs were present).

Here's the software I've installed on my Win10

Hope this helps, but try again with @rwkay

B

Biggz

As of today I have not encountered those 2 bugs again.
Also I never had the two applications you mentioned (not even when the bugs were present).

Here's the software I've installed on my Win10

Hope this helps, but try again with @rwkay
Thanks for that list, there's a surprising amount of programs that I have installed :) At least I can rule those out... or update them :p

B

Biggz

I knew it was going to work but I just installed GMS2 in a Win10 virtual machine that is working okay.

As for my main computer, Copy and Paste works within GMS2 just not from say Notepad in to GMS2.

And to answer a couple of questions from earlier in this thread:
  • My region is "United Kingdom" and language is "English (United Kingdom)"
  • Mouse is a Steelseries rival optical mouse.
Should I create a bug report for this? :p

N

Nikles

I knew it was going to work but I just installed GMS2 in a Win10 virtual machine that is working okay.
As for my main computer, Copy and Paste works within GMS2 just not from say Notepad in to GMS2.
Sorry I don't think I understood correctly:
  • Does GMS2 work correctly inside the WIN 10 VM?
  • Is the WIN 10 VM created from scratch?

B

Biggz

Is this a Win10 VM on the Mac?
This is a Win10 VM running on my Win10 machine that is having problems.

Sorry I don't think I understood correctly:
  • Does GMS2 work correctly inside the WIN 10 VM?
  • Is the WIN 10 VM created from scratch?
  • GMS2 does work correctly inside the WIN10 VM; I thought it would because you also mentioned reinstalling windows made this problem disappear.
  • The VM was created from scratch, fresh install of the OS. No software was installed other than GMS2 and .NET when prompted through GMS2 installer.

N

Nikles

This is a Win10 VM running on my Win10 machine that is having problems.
  • GMS2 does work correctly inside the WIN10 VM; I thought it would because you also mentioned reinstalling windows made this problem disappear.
  • The VM was created from scratch, fresh install of the OS. No software was installed other than GMS2 and .NET when prompted through GMS2 installer.
So, as expected, inside the Guest Windows 10 VM there are no clipboard/mouse bugs.
This "should" reinforce the claim that a fresh OS re-install fixes the problems.

It's a really inconvenient workaround.

Also as more affected people proceed to wipe their systems, just to get GMS2 working, YoYo will never really understand what caused these issues in the first place, leaving a "potential" bug in the software (as this is the only known software that suffers from such bugs).

My suggestion would be to, once again, try and get in touch with @rwkay (read below) and see if you can get the "deep logging enabled" version of GMS2. Run that version on the host machine, where the bugs are present, and send him back the logs.
If he doesn't get in touch within reasonable time... then mimic the attitude and go all SEP* :D

It took him 2 weeks to get back to me via PM.
Anyway check your PM inbox because I'm writing you (and Russel) right now.

*The Somebody Else's Problem field... relies on people's natural predisposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain.

B

Biggz

Hi @Nikkles , thanks for the help.

I have been itching to reformat for a while as it has been a couple of years since I have and this is only making me want to do it more :p

I'll hang fire for a while and see if we can get this sorted. I really want to start using GMS2 though!