• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Odd greenlight request...

Geoff Jones

I had a guy with very bad english message me asking to add him as a contributor on my greenlight submission, to "check something".... Of course I said hell no. But I was wondering what would have happened if I did add him as a contributor? (in theory). What control would he have over the submission? I'm guessing he was going to delete it or something. Would it have given him the option to do that? Curious.
If not, what the hell was he up to? Attempts to get any sense out of him directly, were rather fruitless.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
From the Greenlight Docs:

Yes, once you have filled in the basic information for your Greenlight entry, you can add additional Contributors.

1. If you are just creating your item and have entered basic information, click "View item" in the upper-right corner to go to your submission in Greenlight.
  2. Then, on your item’s page in Greenlight, under "Owner Controls" in the right-hand column, there is a link to "Add/remove Contributors"
  3. Click the link and select anyone from your Steam Friends list to add as contributors.
  4. The selected friend(s) will receive an e-mail notifying them of the action and asking them to accept the invitation to be a contributor.
  5. Once they accept, they will have the ability to edit links, post announcements, and delete comments.
http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/faq/

Yeah, you don't want to do that for some random on the internet... ;)

S

Skull Wolf

I don't think he would have deleted it but would have used you to his advantage. A friend of mine had a similar situation and stupidly added them. The guy went to posting about how he had made my friends game and tried taking credit along with posting links to another game he had on greenlight too.

So honestly, you should be happy ;) they saw your game and thought this is good I want it as my own or hey this is good they gonna get greenlite I want my name on it so people look at my game. Either way good job for not adding them and congrats I bet your game is good. Feel free to send me a link and I will go check it out. Best of luck to you.

M

mortelkill

the name contributor doesnt really warn you about the kind of power they are goign to get does ?

J

joqlepecheur

I submitted a game recently, and like the first time I received shady friends requests, either to do marketing or to maybe straight out buy votes...

I will never accept those kind of offers as I prefer a failure over a shady success, but I am guessing plenty of desperate devs would not be so regarding...
I think it is in part because of this kind of behaviours that greenlight will be shutdown.

As for your greenlight contribution, I think he could have done damage to your submission page or tried to take undue credit.

I've had people add and either beg me, ask me or hint around it enough to be added to the Greenlight contributor. I assume for the badge. Maybe they want it for a resume or something? Then again if they want it for a resume they should have a portfolio.