• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Odd aiming

Q

QuoteTheRobot

Hello, GameMaker Community. I've come across an issue in my attempts to create something. I've been following a series of videos describing how to make a platformer game, (Here's the link to the video of interest for this post:
) Anyways, a large error is occurring with my code. Oddly enough, it isn't with the code itself, rather, how it's used in-game. Whenever I attempt to fire, it appears to mess up where the bullets are coming from. Results are hard to pin down, but it always seems like bullets appear above the player. Or, if I'm firing downwards, they appear below the player. It's quite odd, and if you could give assistance, that would be great! Here's the coding that I used from the video:
oGun (Create):
firingdelay = 0;
recoil = 0;

oGun (Begin Step):
x = oPlayer.x;
y = oPlayer.y+10;

image_angle = point_direction (x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y);

firingdelay = firingdelay - 1;
recoil = max(0, recoil - 1);

if (mouse_check_button(mb_left)) && (firingdelay < 0)
{
recoil = 4
firingdelay = 5;
with (instance_create_layer(x,x,"Bullets",oBullet))
{
speed = 25;
direction = other.image_angle + random_range (-3,3);
image_angle = direction;
}
}

x = x - lengthdir_x(recoil,image_angle);
y= y- lengthdir_y(recoil,image_angle);

if (image_angle > 90) && (image_angle < 270)
{
image_yscale = -1;
}
else
{
image_yscale = 1;
}

oBullet (Post Draw):
if (place_meeting(x,y,oWall)) instance_destroy();

oBullet (Animation End):
image_speed = 0;
image_index = 1;

This is pretty puzzling, and if you could assist with fixing it up, that would be awesome! You can request other parts of the coding in comments below. Thanks, see you soon!

N

nickvm98

Line 13: with (instance_create_layer(x, x ,"Bullets",oBullet)) >try using y.

Q

QuoteTheRobot

To TheSly, yes I have. And to nickvm98, I changed that up, and the gun seems to be working properly now. Thanks for the help, guys!