1. Hey! Guest! The 33rd GMC Jam will take place between May 23rd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and May 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Octonaut - 星のタコ is Out Now!

Discussion in 'Made with GameMaker' started by Skulltercore, May 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM.

1. Skulltercore

Skulltercore Member

TS.PNG

Hi everyone! I'm happy to announce that my game is now available on Steam! It started off as a university project made in Monogame which I later migrated to Game Maker. The game has taken a little over a year to make and marks my second published game made in Game Maker.

A bit about the game:
    Octonaut - 星のタコ is an arcade shoot 'em up inspired by Parodius, Fantasy Zone and Harmful Park. The game stars a yellow octopus named Octonaut who is earths protector. It is up to the player to save the world from an alien invasion.

The game features 8 levels and bosses and follows Octonaut's journey from the beach, through the stars and eventually to the alien mother-ship.

The game has 3 game modes, Normal, Panic and Custom.

Normal Mode: This is the normal game. You start each life with 1000 HP, if your HP reaches zero you will be in a pinch. If you take damage while in a pinch you will die and lose a life. If you don't take a hit for 8-10 seconds you will recover 100 HP.

Panic Mode: This is the hardest game mode and is for those seeking a challenging experience. You start each life with no HP and a shield meaning it will only take two hits to lose a life.

Custom Mode:
    In Custom Mode you can customise:
    • Your maximum shield
    • The amount of lives you start with
    • Your starting weapon
    • Whether power-ups are enabled
    • Which level you start from
    • Whether you start from the boss
    This mode is designed for those seeking a more casual experience.

Assist Mode: The game offers players an assist mode which will reduce all damage by half. This mode is not the intended experience but is there for players who may find the game too challenging.

If you are interested in checking out the game you can find it on Steam here:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035470/Octonaut/

All support and feedback is greatly appreciated!

FallFlat and SnotWaffle Studios like this.
  2. JON213

JON213 Member

This game looks pretty cool and I love the pixel art. But the name reminds me of the show "octonauts"
    [​IMG]

3. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer Member

First thing that came into my mind as well.

4. Skulltercore

Skulltercore Member

Thank you and yeah, when I initially pitched the game to my lecturer he warned me that there was a show with basically the same name. It's kind of frustrating really, because I got attached to the name before knowing about the show and didn't want to change it. My biggest fear is that it will likely detract from the overall branding of the game. However, I'm just happy that I'm able to release a new game for others to play.