• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Obstacle Course (WIP)

F

fxokz

This is my small project in which i am focusing solely on making a game fun before it looks good. This whole project is to help me understand why my games suck to me and to improve and become a better dev. After you guys play the game all i need from you is the honest answer to this 1 question. You do not have to play to the very end if you do not want to, if you are bored of the game say it straight up.

- Was the game fun? Explain.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.mediafire.com/?1szhm5g72hb7yc2
Make sure to read the text document before playing to know the full controls.

pics:

A

Alunite

It's hard to access how fun the game is because it's way too difficult, I could barely make it past the first obstacles.

I'm no expert, but what makes a platformer style game feel good can sometimes be the smallest of things. When I died with the gravity reversed, I would spawn at the start of the level and fly up into the ceiling spikes, causing a death loop, which didn't look or feel good. Something as simple as resetting the direction of gravity on death makes a big difference.

Art is important when it comes to making a game feel fun too. Good animations give weight to the player which will "feel" good. For example, skewing the square in the direction of movement gives a sense of momentum and feels intuitive. Visual cues are a part of gameplay.

Another question I would ask: why have reverse gravity and jump? At a point they serve the same purpose...

It's a good start, but you need to refine down a bit what you want the game to be.

Hope this is useful :)

B

Blakkid489

Well I see you have a good start here and honestly it has potential.

However, for this being a version players are testing, I find it really hard to pass the first 2 obstacles. In fact I had to double tab the gravity button 2 twice extremely fast in order to pass them. If that was your goal then bravo.
I have no clue on how to get through the remaining stage (or room). I suggest changing the obstacles a bit so it can get progressively hard so we as players can get a feel and better understanding
of the controls.

That way your current setup won't seem too difficult.. ....just my opinion. I'll continue to follow this thread to see how it comes along