• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Obscure shortcuts (non constants)

DesArts

This might be a dead end but is there a good way to create obscure keyboard short-cuts (without a vk constant or ord).

So I think the only way to reliably detect for an obscure character like "[" is using keyboard_string/lastchar while a key is being pressed, since the key code changes depending on keyboard layout so using a number constant is unreliable?

Here's an example of an attempt at a layering short-cut like that in Adobe Illustrator.

Code:
        //ordering
        if (keyboard_check(vk_control))
        {
            if (keyboard_check_pressed(vk_anykey))
            {
                switch (keyboard_lastchar)
                {
                    case "]": 
                        dir = 1;
                    break;

case "[": 
                        dir = -1; 
                    break;
                }
            }
        }
However the above doesn't work because the holding of control (or shift) seems to interrupt the string/lastchar being updated some some other issue. Removing the check for control means it just works fine (when not holding control, that is)

So, is there a better way, or should I abandon the "control+" standard for all my other short-cuts to keep consistency?

curato

If you are trying to a custom keymapping I would say you need a place to go to change them and make a variables for each function you need to act on and save what needs to be pressed. Then write a function that looks that information up and then used keyboard_check_pressed to see if you are pressing those buttons currently. I don't have sample code on tap but they net effect would be if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_rcontrol) and keyboard_check_pressed(ord("A") then do your function, but you would have the ord values saved in a variable(or array) to insert in the function. If this makes any sense.

TheouAegis

Do NOT hardcode keys into your program. Everybody hates playing with the programmer's settings. Let the player determine the controls.

B

Bayesian

since the key code changes depending on keyboard layout so using a number constant is unreliable?
Is this really true? Have you tested this? Try using this with two keyboards with different layouts.
Code:
if(keyboard_check_pressed(219)){
    show_debug_message("[")
}
edit: Ok I figured out that I needed to restart my computer to properly test this myself. You are absolutely right on a US QWERTY key board the code is 219 but on a french keyboard its 221.

Your options are like @TheouAegis said let the user define their keys or you can make an extension that uses hardware scan codes. Or wait for GMS to support scan codes

Last edited by a moderator:

DesArts

Yeah I can make them custom which would be good and solve the issue - however I gotta at least have defaults that work right? :p I suppose it's not feasible how I'm thinking.