GameMaker Objects vs Tilesets

I'm making a mining game and I need to know a little more information about the difference between tilesets and objects.

Currently the blocks in my game have health and have their sprite changed at they take damage, can be moved around by enemies, and can also be different block types and ores.

I'm assuming tilesets will take up less memory than filling the screen with objects, but I need to make sure I can do all of the above with tilesets.

Can someone with more experience fill me in here?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Objects, or instances thereof, are fully interactive entities.

Tiles are visual backdrops with very limited interaction capabilities.

Using tiles as interactive entities would require additional code comparable to reinventing the wheel. Whatever benefits you would gain from doing so would be far outweighed by the hassle you'd bring upon yourself.

Gotcha. I was curious if it might take less memory to keep stuff like health data stored in an array while using tilesets or something but if that's the case, is there a way to add multiple objects to the room editor to make my life easier

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Surely it would take less memory to do it like that, but the resulting loss of functionality makes it even less worth to do so than it the minimal gains you'd get from it already are. Unless you're developing software for hardware with extremely limited RAM, micro-optimizing memory usage is usually more trouble than it's worth.

If you're looking for a way to place instances of objects into a room without dragging them one-by-one, the room editor holds a clue at the bottom of the window: "LMB + Alt to paint with selected object resources"