GML Object Variable being utterly ignored

N

neXasDev

GML:
if state == 0 && instance_exists(ob_electron) {                        // Only if the wire is active and the the electron is present will this code run.
    var e = instance_nearest(wire_start_x, wire_start_y, ob_electron); // Assign the nearest instance a temporary variable.
    if point_in_circle(e.x, e.y, wire_start_x, wire_start_y, 4) {      // If the electron comes within a radius of 4 pixels of the wire's first vertex this code will run.
        electron_count[0] += 1;     // Electron will store itself inside the wire's first vertex's electron count (electron_count[0]).
        with(e) {                   // Electron object will destroy itself.
            instance_destroy();
        }
        // This if statement keeps returning an error. It doesn't recognize e. I have tried using e as a normal variable as well. Same problem.
    }
}
I have exhausted the better half of my day on this garbage. Please help me. It's always stupid stuff like this that completely halts my projects.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please post the error message.

I'd assume it's of the "can't find an instance for object" type, in which case no instance of ob_electron exists and your code is not safeguarded for this case via instance_exists. We'd need to see the error message to be sure, though.

N

neXasDev

Please post the error message.

I'd assume it's of the "can't find an instance for object" type, in which case no instance of ob_electron exists and your code is not safeguarded for this case via instance_exists. We'd need to see the error message to be sure, though.
Here it is:

ERROR!!! :: ############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object ob_wire:

Variable <unknown_object>.y(1, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at �z���ct_ob_wire_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 27) - if point_in_circle(instance_nearest(wire_start_x, wire_start_y, ob_electron).x, instance_nearest(wire_start_x, wire_start_y, ob_electron).y, wire_start_x, wire_start_y, 4) { ############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_ob_wire_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 27)

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Yup, that's not e not being recognized, but e being noone because no instance of ob_electron exists. You're therefore trying to access y of an instance that doesn't exist, which is not possible.

N

neXasDev

Yup, that's not e not being recognized, but e being noone because no instance of ob_electron exists. You're therefore trying to access y of an instance that doesn't exist, which is not possible.
Why is e not being recognized? This method of assigning particular instances has worked in every other case.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
adding to tsuka, you also checking for ob_electron in a specific x and y then checking for it again in a circle distance but not updating that for e there for its only checking for an instance at that x and y and if its not there you get "noone"

N

neXasDev

adding to tsuka, you also checking for ob_electron in a specific x and y then checking for it again in a circle distance but not updating that for e there for its only checking for an instance at that x and y and if its not there you get "noone"
How would you suggest I change the code?

N

neXasDev

And thank you as well.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Why is e not being recognized? This method of assigning particular instances has worked in every other case.
As I said, it's not that e is not being recognized. This means that e is being recognized.

The problem continues to be that there is no instance of ob_electron exists at the time the code in question runs.

just update var e with what point_in_circle(e.x, e.y, wire_start_x, wire_start_y, 4) returns before checking e in the with statement
point_in_circle returns a boolean. If using the result of it in a with statement delivers expected results, it's due to sheer coincidence.