• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Object Groups

jackquake

So, I'm writing a game and have been making good use of Parent Objects, especially in collision detection. So far, so good. I have a parent for gravity based objects and a parent for shooting objects. All is fine as they are exclusive from one another. However, now, there are a few gravity based objects that I'd now like to shoot (but not all of them), so I've carved out the subset of those objects, assigned them to a new parent to be able to do both, shoot them and make them susceptible to gravity.

As I was thinking through this, it would be nice to have the ability to assign objects to groups, then perform collision detection on that particular group of objects. It would be possible to assign the same object to multiple groups unlike the parent concept where you get only one.

In other words, you could assign your objects to groups and perform specific actions on those groups, just as you do objects today, except do it to the group (like we do with a parent object today), only the object could belong to multiple object groups. Make sense?

Perhaps programmatically there is a much better way to do this, as I'm fairly new to GameMaker in general.

Otherwise, maybe this would make a good feature for GM2? Thoughts?