• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Object File Corrupted?

D

djrain

So I was working on the code for one object in my game when GameMaker started acting weird (tried to run the game, but it wouldn't seem to actually run or even stop running). It gave me some kind of pop up message saying the file couldn't be saved (not sure which, but I assume the object I was working on).

Since I couldn't do much of anything at this point, I closed GMS without saving. When I restarted it, the entire object I was working on was nonexistent in the project. The object files were still in the project folder though, so I tried importing it, but GMS says:
Cannot import incompatible resource: filename.yy(unknown file type)

So I guess the object file has been corrupted or something. What can I do? I have a project backup, but I've made quite a few changes since then so I'm hoping there's a simple way to restore it...

EDIT: The yy file is empty, but the GML scripts are all there. I guess I'll just import the object from my backup and replace the scripts manually?

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MarceloP

If the yy file is still there, you can try to put that JSON inside a jsonformatter and check where that json is broken. I had some similar issues when trying to save a file way too fast (I use CTRL + S a lot) and it pops me about saving or keeping, since this happened to me, I always choose save. A lot of other users have also had problems with JSON on yy files, and it has been reported to be the attempt to put a "\n" on a string field inside the "Variables" of an Object. It is pretty simple to solve, but your problem doesn't sound like it.

If you're not familiarized with JSON's, leave one or more ss's of the problems you run on the Json formatter. All this is also optional. You can, indeed, only copy all code from that file to a new object since its all there.