• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Number of Levels per Mode/Dungeon for Puzzle Games

K

Kanto Ruki

Does anyone have a good idea on how many levels a mode/dungeon in a puzzle game should consist of? 50 levels? 100? How may I gauge such a decision in the future?

D

Dr Sunnyside

Interesting question! It purely depends on how complicated your puzzle game is. Can the idea sustain itself for a hundred levels? I think to accurately answer this we need to know a little more about your game. Speaking generally I would say between 30-50 levels would be enough.

Genetix

I would put less focus on the quantity and more on the quality. (Not saying you haven't)

What does it matter if a game has 100 levels, if you are bored after playing the first 6?

It does come down to a few things. If a level takes 10 minutes to beat, then the game could get by with 20 or so. If levels take a minute to beat you might need 100 or more....

And then - what about replayability? Is there any reason to come back to levels you have already beat and play them again? Even if only to get a better 'score'? It is fine if not.

I think it is rare for a good game to exist that doesn't require a least an hour to complete (some do exist) - but on the other end of the spectrum, there are games with to much 'fluff' added to extend them out, alot of times due to the fact that the actual game play isn't amazing.

It all comes down to a number of factors.... interesting though - and now i'll end my Monday morning babbling.

K

Kanto Ruki

@Dr Sunnyside
Oh yes, the game is a top-down "maze" (maze as in navigating obstacles to reach the end) where you, the player, can influence the level you're on by changing your element, and only certain elements can do certain things (Stone can move boulders, Light can activate power crystals, Earth can break breakable blocks, Dark can past void pools, etc.)

I know the main dungeons (which you gain a specific element) will at minimal have at least 16 rooms. But this question is directed at "side" dungeons that the player ventures into to find special items that they can trade at a shop for range spells (for example, Stone's spell can move boulders at a distance)

As for complication, there will probably be times where the player needs to time their actions or be careful of their movements. An example that I have been thinking is having Light shoot a ray at a mirror, however, the player will need to switch between elements in order to navigate the ray to the power crystal.

@Genetix
I typically don't see puzzle games being replayable (such as Flow, Fold the World, Professor Layton series (maybe), etc. but like you said, unless to get a better "score") The "side" dungeons will typically take about a minute or two (depending if the player needs to time actions such as to avoid an enemy when trying to push a boulder) but I have yet to time main dungeons (side dungeons' levels are solved in the same room, main dungeons' levels are solved in interconnecting rooms)

I think the game can sustain at least an hour or two of gameplay since I aim to have a stand alone dungeon for an element and have a dungeon that focuses on the use of two elements working together. If you want a number of estimated dungeons with those parameters... about 105 (not including special themed dungeons)

But I really do need to work more on what the player can do, what obstacles they may face, and refine the relationship of elements.

I may sound overly ambitious (probably am) but this was a game I originally wanted to make back in 2012 (with a not so good GameMaker) Now I wish to reboot the one I originally wanted to create (Fairies of the Elements - Ultra) with a vastly different approach.

Thank you both for your feedback!

D

Dr Sunnyside

That actually sounds like an idea that could be really sustainable! Still, if it is your first game I´d say 25-40 levels are enough. It takes a lot of experience in game design to keep the player interested, much more than simply adding new stuff.