Windows Notris - A perfectly normal Tetris clone

After a few years working on my RPG, I feel I needed to give myself a little break, which I'm doing by making a project I can complete in less than a month - a Tetris clone. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone and just do a simple clone. Notris appears at first glance to be your standard barebones amateur-developer experience, but it is far more than that. What does that entail? You'll have to wait and see...

D

DirectShift

Interesting, I'm assuming the secret of game lies in its name, right? Notris?

What's that exactly?

Interesting, I'm assuming the secret of game lies in its name, right? Notris?

What's that exactly?
My game was originally titled "Not-ris" because it is both Tetris and not. I chose to drop the hyphen because it looks better. It also can be read as "No-tris". As far as the secret of the game, well...

...let me just say there's a lot more to this page than meets the eye if you're willing to search it out.

Last edited:

woodsmoke

Have you ever played Nyet 3? (nyet=no in Russian)
The name reminds me of that Tetris-like game.
Can't find the secret on this page. :[

D

DirectShift

It's a scam, it's not a real game. Once we play it, you will steal all of our passwords and credit cards.

I'm reporting this!!!1!1!one

11clock

My game was originally titled "Not-ris" because it is both Tetris and not. I chose to drop the hyphen because it looks better. It also can be read as "No-tris". As far as the secret of the game, well...

...let me just say there's a lot more to this page than meets the eye if you're willing to search it out.

Wow, nice hidden thing here. How subtle.

EDIT: is that Morse code on the top left of the first picture I see?

I'm kind of into Tetris at the moment. (Thanks Tetris 99), so this is coming at a good time.
Awesome! I've got a lot of... stuff... planned out that should really mess with players who understand the mechanics of Tetris. The more familiar you are with Tetris, the more effective it should become. As far as gameplay mechanics go, I'm somewhat basing it off of Tetris: The Grandmaster. I've programmed in advanced mechanics like Lock Delay Cancelling, Initial Rotation, and pre-charging Delayed Autoshift.

I still suck at Tetris, though. Hahaha...

Just finished cleaning up the piece randomizer and added a lose state. I now have a full-fledged Tetris clone! If all I was planning on doing was clone Tetris as a development workout, I would still want to add a few things. As it is, the relatively spartan interface and gameplay* suits my needs perfectly. My updates from now on will likely taper off for a bit, since I'm keeping most, if not all of the actual game and story under wraps.

*as in, no hold pieces and no multi-piece preview

The true horror is when the Tetris Holding Company gets wind of this, if you're planning on ever selling it. I've heard they're strict. :x

I don't know what your plans are for the project are, though. It's safe here on the GMC, obviously.

If you're planning on going further with it though, you're probably safer with something like Bejeweled. Good luck, either way!

LOL I'm not so stupid as to try and sell this. It's going to be free. If this ever gets popular enough to where I get forced to take it down, I'll consider that a win in my book.
Ah, okay. I figured you might think it's in a gray area because it's kind of a parody (it actually might be? I dunno), but the Tetris Company is famously strict, hahah.

Yeah, you'll be fine if it's free, I'm sure!